Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: Don Today
« Reply #105 on: 18/10/2009 at 23:45 »
Seems like you had an exciting outing Noel, pity about the one that got away.

Congrat's Paul I bet you were buzzing!

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #106 on: 19/10/2009 at 20:25 »
Aye , nice reports Noel and Paul  :z16

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #107 on: 20/10/2009 at 21:48 »
Fished the upper river today, lost three and had a few good pulls and follows.  Hooked into by far the biggest salmon I have ever contacted today, I estimate 20lb+ maybe more.  Hooked on the first cast down a very small pool, fish ran up & down a couple of times and jumped clean out of the water (it was big) then decided to leave the pool at high speed, ran up through the neck into the pool above and just kept going, no way I could follow, needles to say, it came off!!  I have never had a salmon fight like that, I did not realise they could move at such speed, I know know they can motor but this thing really went!!  Lost another about 12lb which seemed well hooked and then another small fish which was on briefly then off.  Big one took a size 7 Red Allys fished on 7' of T14 on a floating head, the other two took the Monkey with Red throat.  Was getting hopeful of another hook up but the wind really got up, temperature dropped and everything went quiet, there's always next week  :grin

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #108 on: 20/10/2009 at 23:17 »
Hi Ben,

Frustrating or what?
At least she'll be ready to take again next week :wink

Lots of action again though :z15 - roll on next week!

Iain

gibbyboy

« Reply #109 on: 23/10/2009 at 12:35 »
so you think the river will be in any sort of fishable state by tomorrow afternoon at inverurie?? the mention of more rain suggests not so far!!

Kev Danby

« Reply #110 on: 23/10/2009 at 12:47 »
Was planning a morning sortie at Inverurie but I think I'll have a lie in then get the vice out and also replace a fly line.

Been down the inverurie stretch a good few times not sure we have ever met though.

gibbyboy

« Reply #111 on: 23/10/2009 at 13:03 »
probably the sensible option.....but if conditions are even remotely bareable the itch will kick in and a visit will be carried out  :z6

speak to a couple of regular guys when i see then but never enquire about forum names etc so could well have said hi before!  :wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #112 on: 23/10/2009 at 13:05 »
I would reckon Alford and above may be O.K tomorrow provided it stays dry today, at about 3' ish this morning.  Forecast for a lot of rain tomorrow in a very short space of time mid afternoon, if this happens the water could rise very quickly, keep an eye on conditions if you are in wading.

I Doubt very much that Inverurie will be fishable tomorrow, it is still chocolate brown today.

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #113 on: 23/10/2009 at 13:39 »
Big one took a size 7 Red Allys fished on 7' of T14 on a floating head

Ben how did you attach the T14 to your line? I'm guessing that you cut it down to 7'? 

cheers

Matt

Kev Danby

« Reply #114 on: 23/10/2009 at 19:03 »
Still bank high at inverurie 6pm tonight.

Jockmcsprock

« Reply #115 on: 24/10/2009 at 13:36 »
does anyone know what the water is like at papermill??  Was thinking about a couple of hours this afternoon! gettin the itch could someone please get back to me :cool:

Jockmcsprock

« Reply #116 on: 24/10/2009 at 13:38 »
sorry about that i meant to put Inverurie Papaermill (oops) :oops

Irvine Ross

« Reply #117 on: 24/10/2009 at 16:11 »
Jock

The river levels on the Don are available at

http://www.fishpal.com/Scotland/Don/RiverLevels.asp?dom=Don

As they are currently at about 4' and the water must be muddy brown I would think your chances are very slender.

Cheers
Irvine

Jockmcsprock

« Reply #118 on: 24/10/2009 at 16:39 »
thanks irvine hope water is ok for next week no more rain not likely there must b lots of fish running it is allways the same not enough rain then week left and then to much ha ha i hate scotlands weather ha ha  :cry :cry

piker

« Reply #119 on: 27/10/2009 at 18:05 »

typical - last year no water in the last week - this year toooooooooooooo mcu :-(

lost a fish at kemnay this mornign on the rapala - 4 or 5lbs in reccon

went onto kintore this afternoon. Water is pretty damn high, but fishable

did not see a single salmon

fishing my way down the millers ( gold club pool ?)

hook into a fish which takes me 1/2 way down the pool - that is with a 11ft pike rod !

here is me thinking a nice salmon.....wrong...

6lb brownie  :z15

on the rapala !?!??!

why, oh why ????

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com