Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Don water levels
« on: 20/05/2009 at 18:04 »
Im planning to fish the don on friday as usual but im thinking the local stretch may be still a bit high and coloured for trout fishing. Could anyone tell me what levels/conditions should be like at Alford friday please?  I dont need to decide until friday morning so an update by then would be appreciated. 

Rob Brownfield

Re: Don water levels
« Reply #1 on: 20/05/2009 at 18:08 »
Could anyone tell me what levels/conditions should be like at Alford friday please? 

I believe Hardy make a "predict-o-matic" fishing tool for that very purpose!  :wink

All I can tell you is that on my way home tonight the river at Kintore and at The Cothal was very brown and foamy. More extremely heavy rain forecast for tomorrow in the area .

Richard Tong

« Reply #2 on: 20/05/2009 at 21:37 »
Rob,

Just had a look at the FishDon website and the level at Bridge of Alford at 7:30pm this evening is given at 8ins and steady which is a good height. Haughton is 12". From what you are saying it looks like it is far higher than this.I can see there is some heavy rain coming in for a couple of hours tomorrow which could make it unfishable on Friday around Monymusk.

As Paul and I are coming up on Friday for the Sunday bash at Castle Forbes and have a 4:30am alarm call we may delay this if the river is knackered. Alternatively we could do Strathdon I suppose.

Would appreciate some reports tomorrow evening so we can make a call on start time on Friday.

Look forward to seeing those of you who can make it on Sunday,

Richard

Dave Gordon

« Reply #3 on: 20/05/2009 at 21:39 »
I will be in Strathdon tomorrow, and will post a water condition report for you

dave

Richard Tong

« Reply #4 on: 20/05/2009 at 21:45 »
Cheers Dave. The more the merrier. I think the worst rain is coming in at appx 4pm but am hoping that it steers clear. We are fishing Friday,Saturday,Monday and Tuesday.

Have both had some cracking Trout so am itching to get up again,

Richard

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 20/05/2009 at 21:48 »
I will be up there first thing on friday, if it looks grim I will drop Paul a text.  River at Kintore still up a bit and quite coloured.

Cheers

Ben

Dave Gordon

« Reply #6 on: 20/05/2009 at 21:49 »
Richard

You will have the water to your self, I am Deer Stalking tomorrow but will be having lunch in strathdon. I plan to fish there soon though, possibly next friday, as all these big brownies i am reading about is getting me keen again.

Unfortunatly my fishing time recently has been spent working on Don trust business, but once we get the biologist settled into his office and out working in the catchment i will return!

Best of luck over the weekend

D

Dave Gordon

« Reply #7 on: 20/05/2009 at 21:50 »
ben

I also plan to be there Friday, if you all fancy a lunch meet up in the hotel?

D

Richard Tong

« Reply #8 on: 20/05/2009 at 22:03 »
Dave,

Not sure at the moment where we are going to end up!! We tend to be on the water all day anyway with an hour or two out for Dinner and then back on the river. Evenings are getting longer and there's Trout to be caught!! Thanks for the offer anyway and see you on Sunday. Got my fingers crossed for Friday

Ben,

Where are you on Friday?

Richard

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 20/05/2009 at 22:08 »
I forgot you guys were coming up to the event Richard ...... Cool :z16

Will hopefully see you there.
Good luck on the river :wink
Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 20/05/2009 at 22:29 »
Richard,

Will be on either Edinglassie & Candacraig or Tornashean, will probably make a call on it tomorrow night.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 20/05/2009 at 22:52 »
You must remember I was viewing the river in a torrential downpower with "bouncing" rain :) The back roads between Parkhill and Kintore were awash..I think thats where the foaminess on the river came from....road run off.

Richard Tong

« Reply #12 on: 21/05/2009 at 08:40 »
Mike,

I assumed that you would be manning the post at Haddo! Will be good to see you again,

Richard

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 21/05/2009 at 08:44 »
Mike,

I assumed that you would be manning the post at Haddo! Will be good to see you again,

Richard
Hi Richard

Haddo will be closed on Sunday ... to support the event :wink

See you there
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com