Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Trout Master

Fishing On A Sunny Day
« on: 22/04/2009 at 11:37 »
Hi lads is it ok fishing on a sunny day?.  All the fish will be on the bottom so could i just fish deep and in shaded areas on the pond.  THANKS

Trout Master

Re: Fishing On A Sunny Day
« Reply #1 on: 22/04/2009 at 18:32 »
Why won't any one reply :cry

« Reply #2 on: 22/04/2009 at 18:48 »
The situation is usually more complex.

Last Saturday I was at a fishery and it was quite sunny, my initial reaction was that the fish would be in deeper water.  However as I was setting up I noticed that there were some insects coming off the water and sporadic rises.  I found fishing a couple of nymphs’ fished shallow to be a successful technique.

I would not recommend this method every time you are fishing on a sunny day but i would also make the assumption that fish will always lie in deep water on sunny days

Robbie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 26/04/2009 at 00:06 »
As Robbie said, it depends on many variables...

for example, a gin clear water would have the fish behaving in a different manner to a peaty water. The theory is that Trout do not have eyelids, so in bright conditions they will go deep..BUT..they are also oppurtunist feeders, so if there is a big hatch of buzzers, up they come. In a "dirty" water where light penetration is not so great, the fish may be holding higher up.

In rivers/burns, i would expect to find the fish under the cover of overhanging trees etc, but have also seen fish rising on really bright days.

I think the best thing is to just observe what is going on on the water, and also if other anglers are catching..and if they are, try and work out what they are doing.

For me, if i could not get any visual clues I would go with a very long leader, a heavy fly on the point and fish extremely slowly, letting the point fly sink deep, the middle fly will then fish higher up and the top fly "shallow". If i then get a fish, then I will adapt my tactics, either going onto an intermediate line if the fish took a deep fly or changing to a shorter leader with lighter flies if the fish took the top dropper fly.

Hope that makes sense,
rOB

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com