Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Scourie Trip
« on: 25/04/2009 at 21:20 »
Hi,
     Yes , I know that Scourie is,nt in Abdnshire but I thought this is the best place to put this .

Some pics from a recent trip . Sorry about the image size Mike . Main camera went on the blink and I,ve had to use my mobile phone camera. Most of them turned out Ok I thought.

Anyway here they are .

The Hotel . Very Nice too.

Loch Fearna

[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m198/acefisher/Scourie/18042009120.jpg[/IMG

And in Part Two

Noel Kelly

Re: Scourie Trip
« Reply #1 on: 25/04/2009 at 21:29 »
Now Paul that looks excellent, A little "script" to go with it would be great. Weather looks nice but was cold I imagine? :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #2 on: 25/04/2009 at 21:36 »
Hi Noel,
            Yes I know   :z4  but I,m watching the Barca game ! Script to follow.
Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Rankine

Re: Scourie Trip - Part One
« Reply #3 on: 25/04/2009 at 22:18 »
Hi ,
      Right , it's half time .  :z4

Special deal at the Scourie Hotel for the spring time , £62 , B+B + Dinner , + fishing . Not too bad.

Next day saw us tubing Loch Fearna . Weather very unseasonal . Blue Skies with a cold wind but , here's the thing , up to 20 degrees out of the wind. I have a sun tan. :z4

Water still very cold obviously but some hatches of LDO's and even sedges in the sunshine when the wind dropped in the shallow bays.

Wind kinda blew us off Fearna the pictures are taken in the lee of the island.  So we battled across the gale and dumped the tubes for a "walk" into the hills to an unnamed little loch above. In 5mm neoprenes ( I wasn't taking them off , too many ticks aboot ) , this was a hot experience.

So the hill loch . This looked beautiful and despite the cold water we rose quite a few fish. 5 remained on the hook . Another 4 were LDCR jobs including what I reckoned was a cracker . About another 8 were risers but no contact forecoming. A GREAT DAY .  On the walk back  we disturbed a large herd of deer.

Next day we boat and bank fished the chain of Lochs known as Lower Duart . The boat was awful , sorry . A plastic tub.

The day started with the same strong wind but fell away by lunchtime and we were becalmed.

At the west end of the loch we beached and had some lunch.

There was a large hatch of olives here just beside the burn inlet but no rise to them. Cold water I presume.

However, out of the wind , the olives formed large mating clouds. Quite a lot actually. I watched the returning females as they skipped across the flat surface egg laying . Inevitably , a few tired and became the object of a small but very sporadic rise . I managed to pick up 4 during this period.
The wind which had been switching direction meanwhile then began again.

Despite what looked like good conditions during the drift back we hit nor saw anything.

On the way back down to the smolt hatchery (don't get me started ) we fished some of the small lochans on the way. Another 3 or 4 wee ones and then the last chuck at some nice trout but no takers in the very bright sunshine.

Barca 2 -1 down .

More to follow. :z4

Paul.

garry john

« Reply #4 on: 26/04/2009 at 09:05 »
ive seen this place on nick hancocks fishing school. the hill lochs look brilliant :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #5 on: 27/04/2009 at 19:55 »
Hi Garry,
             Yep, a beautiful place . The telly cannot do it justice.
Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com