Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dutchfly

Fly Rods
« Reply #15 on: 07/12/2006 at 08:31 »
A lot of people are scared of a light weight. Don't be! I've landed carp up to 8 lbs on my 3 weight. Loads of fun and as Sandy writes, you can land a fish just as quick on a light weight as on a heavier rod.

Good luck!

Jeroen

Rob Brownfield

Fly Rods
« Reply #16 on: 08/12/2006 at 09:34 »
Sandy, Mike,
I have fished light line all my life  :grin:

I love stalking large carp on 6-8 lb line and a 10 foot split cane rod and centrepin  :wink:

There is a huge arguement by some pikers that fly rods cannot handle large fish...and time and time again its proven too them that they can...and time and time again they shout the odds saying the fish are in danger..pah!!.

I have fished for Pike for 32 years now and I still say my 10 weight fly rod subdues pike faster than my  12 foot 3lb test curve Pike rods...and they are powerful rods..but don't bend.

As for the 0 oe 1 weight fly rods..yip..its a toy I want  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

I used to have a 7 foot split can 4 weight that i used, and that was perfect for the burns..but I want to be a little mad!.. :lol:

Jay Scott

Fly Rods
« Reply #17 on: 14/01/2007 at 16:47 »
Well,

I got my rod, its a custom built one that i bought from Mike 9ft 4wt, its perfect, i tried a couple other ones including a Sage XP and a Scierra HM2 and this one seemed to suit me best. Thanks for the help Mike and Sandy.

Jay

Mike Barrio

Fly Rods
« Reply #18 on: 14/01/2007 at 17:26 »
Quote from: "jayscott"
Well,

I got my rod, its a custom built one that i bought from Mike 9ft 4wt, its perfect, i tried a couple other ones including a Sage XP and a Scierra HM2 and this one seemed to suit me best. Thanks for the help Mike and Sandy.

It was good fun watching you trying out all "the toys" today Jay and guessing which one you would like best :z3

Great to see you catching your first fish on a 4wt too! What a cracking 5 pounder to christen it with  :cool:

As always .......... I could not have advised you which rod you would like, you really do need to try them for yourself, as everybody is different.

Best wishes
Mike

Jay Scott

Fly Rods
« Reply #19 on: 14/01/2007 at 17:35 »
Yeah absolutely, well i think i'm hooked on lighter gear now after the fight that 5 pounder put up! Great sport can't wait until it gets a bitty warmer and the flies start hatching.

Jay

Mike Barrio

Fly Rods
« Reply #20 on: 14/01/2007 at 18:04 »
Here's an interesting question for you Jay

As a youngster who has not been fishing for awful long ....... and being used to a 7wt  :z3

How did you find fishing the lighter rod on a DT4F? Did you have any feeling of not being able to cover fish comfortably etc etc, especially since it was a tad cold and windy today?

How did it feel?

Curious Mike

Sandy Nelson

Fly Rods
« Reply #21 on: 14/01/2007 at 19:36 »
Yeah!

I enjoyed it too, it always fascinates me what people like, and who can get what to work :shock:
You never can tell.
Glad your happy though jay, and what a way to christen a new rod. :z16

Hurrah! another convert

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com