Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Simple suggestive fly patterns for trout
« on: 13/01/2007 at 23:24 »
I enjoyed Bob Wyatt's piece in this month's Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Magazine "Giss me quick"

Bob tells us how he has found success with suggestive fly patterns, lovely scruffy vague impressions rather than realistic artificials.

Size and basic shape catching the trout's attention  :wink:

I could be wrong ( and usually am! ) ........ but do I recognise the pool where he catches the Scottish brownie in the photo during a March brown hatch  :?:

Mike

wildfisher

« Reply #1 on: 13/01/2007 at 23:48 »
Mike,  I think I might know it too. Bob tends not to publicise individual "spots" which  I believe is really quite  responsible in a publication  with  a large circulation. From the  anglers point of view it gives him good information without destroying the  sense of exploration or adventure he might get  from discovering new waters for himself.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2007 at 00:15 »
Hi Fred

Yes, quite a few of us will think that we may recognise that view  :wink:

It was an enjoyable piece to read and it touches on points that we have discussed so many times. Just a handful of suggestive patterns can catch a high percentage of our fish.

Great stuff
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 14/01/2007 at 08:22 »
Oh yes :wink:

You wouldn't pay to fish there anyway Fred :lol:

Sandy

wildfisher

« Reply #4 on: 14/01/2007 at 09:06 »
Quote from: "spiderman"

You wouldn't pay to fish there anyway Fred

Well, maybees aye, maybees no', but that is irrelevant in the context of this article.  I am just happy to  see responsible writing about   "this particular  spot".  It makes a refreshing change.  :shock:

wildfisher

« Reply #5 on: 14/01/2007 at 09:33 »
Quote from: "Mike Barrio"

Yes, quite a few of us will think that we may recognise that view  :wink:

Yes Mike, it's great stuff and it does not take much detective work to find out exactly where it is. That is how it should be, keeps the sense of self discovery alive.   For the benefit of those who may not have seen it, here are a few more pics from a  trip to  "the spot"  that Bob gave me to put on the wild fishing forum and also some good advice he posted.  I much prefer this kind of information to the usual "I came, I saw, I conquered" that we normally  get about "the spot"

I usually 'blind' fish big water like the Tay, but on smaller waters I like to spot fish if I can.  It's not often you can see the fish in the water, due to water clarity and light conditions, but I  think that fishing hard when no fish are seen feeding is mostly a waste of time and a good way to spook everyone in the pool.  Especially the bigger fish.  They only come out to play when there's some food about, and if not feeding are exceptionally spooky - that's why they are big.  You don't often see them when 'fishing the water' because they are gone the instant a line passes overhead, especially from upstream.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 14/01/2007 at 10:06 »
So.... that'll be the Deveron then  :wink:

wildfisher

« Reply #7 on: 14/01/2007 at 10:51 »
Quote from: "HAMISH"
So.... that'll be the Deveron then  :wink:

Where else?  :grin:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 14/01/2007 at 13:39 »
I was looking at the Bonny fish though :z16

I've read the article a few times now and its fantastic information.
I like the way Bob writes.And his flies are beautifully simple, just the way they should be.

As you say Fred, its the way you tell them.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com