Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

kvadrat

Dee Browns?
« on: 20/04/2009 at 10:27 »
Hey Folks,

I have Just got back from paddling the Dee from Linn of Dee to Aberdeen over three days and I was blown away by the numbers of browns in river, the Salmon were keeping a low profile but the water temp was pretty low so only saw a couple.

Anyway It looked like a dry fly mecca so I was wondering if it was as expensive to fish for browns as it is salmon or would they rather not let average Joe fish for browns when people are paying top dollar for the salmon.

Nothing like seeing fish nailing flies on the surface to reignite the need for fishing!

Cheers for now Daz

Barry Robertson

Re: Dee Browns?
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2009 at 10:33 »
I think your thoughts could be spot on Daz and iam intrested to hear what others come back with on this. I think the old rule of as long as your fishing for brown trout with light tackle you can fish anywhere is a thing of the past, but i could be wrong  :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2009 at 19:00 »
Daz :! Nice to see you around and about on the forum again :wink

I've commented before about the astonishing numbers of Browns in the Dee - some good 'uns too :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15

Unfortunately, despite a small amount of effort on my part, I've yet to get permission to fish for Browns on the Dee. No harm in trying again I guess.... after all, the answer can really only be yes or no.
Perhaps it's something the Fisheries Development Officer on the Dee could be persuaded to look into..... but I suspect that the spiralling cost of salmon fishing on the Dee (for which it is famous) would preclude even the most enlightened proprietor opening a beat up to Trout fishers.
Shame really, a genuine missed opportunity I think  :z6

Baz - no such thing as the 'old rule' re. light tackle etc.
It's an urban myth/fallacy popularised by those who have no grasp on the legislation that forms fisheries law in Scotland or who are too tight to pay for a ticket..... we've been over this before elsewhere in the forum.

Hamish  :z3

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2009 at 07:10 »
Baz - no such thing as the 'old rule' re. light tackle etc.
It's an urban myth/fallacy popularised by those who have no grasp on the legislation that forms fisheries law in Scotland or who are too tight to pay for a ticket..... we've been over this before elsewhere in the forum.

Hamish  :z3

Thanks for clearing that up rule book  :wink
As for not having a grasp well ...  :z6
Where are the rules written for the average Joe to see

Steven Kidd

« Reply #4 on: 22/04/2009 at 11:21 »
Well.......last year I had a visit to the Park beat in May.......never seen a salmon all day, and none were caught by any of the four rods out........

So I got my 3wt out and fished upstream dry fly at Park!!, ha, the ghillie thought I was mad, and was a bit reluctant to allow such debauchery, still I caught umpteen browns up to about a 1.5lb.....made my day.

The salmon fishers went home miserable. Ha!

Steven

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #5 on: 22/04/2009 at 19:16 »
There has been a few good browns coming off the Dee this season. I went out for an hour after work yesterday evening and caught this one of 21 inches (about 3lb?) on the salmon fly.

kvadrat

« Reply #6 on: 22/04/2009 at 19:38 »
Well.......last year I had a visit to the Park beat in May.......

Funny, that section and up stream of maryculter bridge was where I saw most of the activity but to be fair there was no shortage of flies on the water, the most fish rising I have ever seen.

Daz.

ps,

Hey Hamish hope you are well, best to the good lady.

buntinbee

« Reply #7 on: 22/04/2009 at 19:54 »
Aye Graham, would that be one of the big stones lining the bank at Maryculter that bonny trout is laying on?

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #8 on: 22/04/2009 at 19:59 »
Yes, thats the one.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com