Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Whats happening here?
« on: 19/04/2009 at 01:35 »
Seen this on the Don on Tues the gulls were going mental diving at the water and the fish were rising all over the place, if it was a hatch i could understand the fish but not the gulls. Any ideas :?

Dave

Sandy Nelson

Re: Whats happening here?
« Reply #1 on: 19/04/2009 at 05:02 »
HI dave

Most certainly WAS a hatch :z16 You will get the same with swallows and martins later in the year.
But it is quite common for gulls to be after LDO's and March browns.

Sandy

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 19/04/2009 at 09:10 »
Exactly the same on the Tummel on Wdenesday, heaps of little gulls taking flies off the surface but no trout. We moved down a pool to where more gulls were active and found fish rising - oncers though nothing regular (except wayyyyy out). Very frustratiing!! :mad

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 19/04/2009 at 12:07 »
Ah ok i didn't think the gulls would have went for anything that small but i guess food is food after all :z16

:z18

Dave

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 19/04/2009 at 13:17 »
Think it's more numbers than size

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 19/04/2009 at 16:46 »
Always watch out for bird activity when fishing, its a dead giveaway of a hatch. On the big western Loughs we always head for them. 

Fisher

« Reply #6 on: 20/04/2009 at 01:19 »
We see this on the lower Dee all the time at this time of year. There will be nothing happening and you suddenly see the gulls going up to the top of the stream and coming downriver in a feeding frenzy. At that moment Sea Trout kelts also come onto the feed along with the finnock.  Sometimes lasts for up to an hour and at other times only a few minutes. There have been some very good hatches in the past 2 weeks  Strangely when the hatch is on fish are almost impossible to catch even with an imitation of the fly hatching. As soon as the hatch is over they will take the artificial fly no problem. Strange!! 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com