Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Aboyne
« on: 13/04/2009 at 18:37 »
Was thinking of going to Aboyne loch caravan park on the May weekend, i believe the loch is course fish only as I've only fished for bows what tactics, flies, ect would i need to change?

Seen Mill of Strachan Trout Fishery anyone tried it whats the costs ect?

Any other still waters near by Aboyne?

:z18

Dave

Irvine Ross

Re: Aboyne
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2009 at 19:05 »
If you look through some of the back posts there was a thread last year about fishing for ide (that's a species of fish I'm told) on Aboyne Loch

I haven't been to Mill of Strachan for years. They used to permit bubble float fishing at weekends which left next to no room to get a fly line out. I have no idea if this still goes on.

You could try Ardgeith Fishery.  It's a short bit past the old Boultenstone Hotel on the road from Dinnet to Strathdon. You will see the signs from the road. It's small but it's very rare for it to get crowded.

Tight Lines

Irvine

GARYBOY

« Reply #2 on: 13/04/2009 at 20:05 »
Travel a bit west towards Ballater and you will come upon Tullich fishery hard at roadside :z15 :z1
cracking place  :z16
wading allowed
just arrive ,start fishing ,and the owners will turn up if not there already
nice hut
might even see the osprey or even cormarents
enjoy  :z16 

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 13/04/2009 at 22:06 »
Tullich is nice (loud though, main road 'right there') but Glen Tanar Loch is much better (IMHO)  :z16

The Aboyne Loch is indeed stuffed full of coarse fish, not my field of experience though :wink

How far are you willing to travel from Aboyne though :? Other options available....

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 14/04/2009 at 08:42 »
If you are based at the loch, jump in the car, head through Aboyne until you see the sign for the library, turn down that road, keep going until you cross the River Dee, turn right and head west along South deeside road for about 2 miles until you see a gatehouse and tower on the left called Glentanar. Turn up there and keep going until you can go no more.

The loch at Glentanar is about the most beautiful trout water in the area (in my opinion :)).About 10 minutes from Aboyne but in reality, in the middle of nowhere!

Also, no reason why you cannot use standard rainbow tactics on Aboyne loch for the Ide. They will take small lures, buzzers, dries etc but PLEASE make sure they go back alive and also, they should pretty much be in the middle of spawning just now so may not be playing ball at the moment..or if they are feeding, will be a bit delicate so please handle with care.

Another fishery I think is worth fishing in the area is Midmar...about 15-20 minutes towards Aberdeen, but over the hill, so to speak. 3 lochs, frinedly owner, some really nice overwintered Rainbows and Blues.

Lastly, and I am not sure if it is open yet, but the loch at Tillypronie..again 15-20 minutes, is a lovely natural water. You hire the whole loch rather than just the boat, so its "yours for the day" :)

Hope that helps a little.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 16/04/2009 at 19:18 »
 :z18 for the info guys :z16

Would you beleive it the wife has now desided she dont want to go to Aboyne now, so once she has made up her mind i may be posting again for places to fish.

:z18

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com