Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: River Don open day 2010 - 30th May at Castle Forbes
« Reply #45 on: 22/05/2010 at 19:52 »
Hi Richard, not sure if I will make it but if I do I will be straight over to pick your brains :z4

« Reply #46 on: 27/05/2010 at 11:53 »
Can anyone out there give me instructions on how to get there or better still give me the postcode so the Sat Nav can do all the hard work.
Cheers

Hamish Young

« Reply #47 on: 27/05/2010 at 16:15 »
OK, you could use postcode AB33 8BL which is for Castle Forbes Estate Office (close enough).

However, if you are coming from Aberdeen on the A944, be aware that the Keig bridge is currently shut and you need to divert via Alford. Now you could follow the councils official diversion which I believe takes you out to the Bridge of Alford (a long diversion :!) but the thing to do IMHO is to come into Alford and follow the signs for Montgarrie.
Once over the bridge at Montgarrie all you need to do is get to the end of the road and turn right and you will be heading for Keig. The event will be signposted.

Simples  :cool:

:z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #48 on: 28/05/2010 at 11:07 »
Anglers complaining about the rain..whatever next ;)

Waders and a jacket..sorted ;)

Jim Eddie

« Reply #49 on: 28/05/2010 at 19:00 »
Unfortunately I will be unable to come along  :z10  Not the weather that has put me off , going fishing saturday , not enough brownie points for 2 days off the reseravtion  :wink

I'm  sure it will be a grand day though and would encourage anyone who is undecided to go along.

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #50 on: 28/05/2010 at 20:00 »
I'm afraid I can't go either.  I have to go to John Lewis to complete my wedding list!   :z6 :z4

Hopefully I'll get there next year.

« Reply #51 on: 28/05/2010 at 20:46 »
We will be there. Arriving on Aberdeen from Norway  tomorrow for one week fishing in the river Don and Dee. There is no fishing in Sundays so we will go to this  and drink some cheap beers and have funs.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #52 on: 29/05/2010 at 16:00 »
I wish I was going :cry
it would be fantastic to get to an event that is so well
supported by people who genuinely care about MY river  :z18
I'm really missing getting out and about with the 3wt and the wild broonies
funny how these things are happening now when I'm not in the country  :z6
yet for the rest of my life no one ever bothered. Guess that's the way the cookie crumbles
ho hum :z6 maybe by the time I get back it will have matured into a significant event in the Scottish angling
calender and not just a show for those who love the river. Here's hoping :z16

anyway I hope you all enjoy the day

Sandy

j.r fartley

« Reply #53 on: 30/05/2010 at 21:32 »
Gutted i couldn't make it along to the open day, my saturday night was a little messy! :z4

Hope the day was a success and everyone enjoyed themselves! :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #54 on: 30/05/2010 at 23:04 »

Hamish Young

« Reply #55 on: 31/05/2010 at 08:45 »
It was certainly very very wet for most of the morning  :cry Chest waders, good boots and wading jackets seemed to be the dress code  :shock
Fortunately it cleared up in the afternoon and it seemed to me that everyone who attended enjoyed themselves; I know I did.
It was a pleasure seeing some old friends too :wink
Funnily enough, it was the same four left at the end of the day having a debrief and tidying up as last year :!
Well done to Rick and Ben for organising this years event, I'll be down the road from Inverness for next years :cool:

:z3

Iain Goolager

« Reply #56 on: 31/05/2010 at 10:20 »
Dissapointed I couldn't make it yesterday but it was the wee lads 3rd birthday and didn't get rid of the last visitor until 16:18  :z8

really miffed but that's life
'the wind's aye in the workin' mans face!'

Hope you all had a good time

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #57 on: 31/05/2010 at 11:47 »
I did not realise I knew so many people!..Had a good if not extremely wet morning. Shame I had to be away by 11.30 as I would have liked to have seen the casting etc.

The cheeseburger was lovely :)

The chap I brought along from York was suitably impressed and wanted to come back next year, but will wellies!

Thanks to the guys who put it together, a big well done!

Irvine Ross

« Reply #58 on: 31/05/2010 at 17:14 »
I watched the Met Office rainfall radar on the internet in the morning so I turned up just as the rain stopped. It was a good afternoon and a great chance to blether, swap ideas, pick up useful information and watch the demos by very good instructors. The casting competitions were fun too. Need to work on the accuracy, but I knew that already.

Many thanks to everyone who put in the effort to organise a good day. I hope it goes from strength to strength.

Cheers
Irvine

Noel Kelly

« Reply #59 on: 31/05/2010 at 19:16 »
Shame I had to work so I didn't get there until 4. Still got to meet a few folk that I hadn't seen in a while. Looked like it would have been a good day and will make sure to have a full day there next year.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com