Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

bbamboo

Sharpes and bamboo
« on: 12/04/2009 at 17:47 »
I think is probably the right place to ask this question based on location

Does anyone know if there are any employees left from the Sharpes Aberdeen branch? Split cane days
I am trying to get some info (TAPERS) on a number of rods, which were produced there.

Thanks Gary

Paul Rankine

Re: Sharpes and bamboo
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2009 at 01:45 »
Hi Gary,
            Rob is probably your'e best bet on this site in regards to Sharpe's rods.
  :grin

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 13/04/2009 at 07:21 »
The other person on the forum that springs immediately to mind and who might have information on the tapers used by Sharpes on split cane would be Sandy (spiderman), he has a passion for building such things having already built the most interesting split cane fly rod I've ever picked up....... I'm pretty sure he'd have some idea of where to look at least  :z17

Which particular rods were you looking for the specs for Gary :?

Hamish  :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 13/04/2009 at 08:54 »
Hi Gary,
            Rob is probably your'e best bet on this site in regards to Sharpe's rods.
  :grin

:z8 Why do you do it?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 13/04/2009 at 09:00 »
I think is probably the right place to ask this question based on location

Does anyone know if there are any employees left from the Sharpes Aberdeen branch? Split cane days
I am trying to get some info (TAPERS) on a number of rods, which were produced there.

Thanks Gary

Hi Gary,
My understanding is that a company down south have all that information. Not sure if they "bought the rights" and hence wont be two willing to pass the info on, or if they just "aquired" the tapers in the course of there research.

Hear is there website. http://www.scottierods.co.uk/bamboo-fly-rod.html

I managed to get one of the original Fario 8' 3" blanks when Jim Somers had a stock of Sharpes cane in his shop, as well as a 7 foot Lee Wulff that Sharpes made for the US market...Wish i had not broken that one!  :mad

Also, there is a taper "calculator" available, so you might be able to reproduce by measuring a blank and creating your own tapers.. http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6272&hl=powell+taper+calculator

I hope this is of use to you..

Regards
Rob

bbamboo

« Reply #5 on: 13/04/2009 at 11:25 »
Thanks guys
I new this was the right place to ask.
The rod taper I am looking for is the 83
or sometimes called the ritz 83

Gary

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 13/04/2009 at 12:54 »
Gary,
One last thing I forgot to put in my PM..have you tried Stateside? They seem to relish anything "bamboo" and i have seen tapers for various UK rods published on "bamboo" forums.

Good luck once more.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com