Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Loch Park
« on: 12/04/2009 at 11:08 »
Paul (GRHE) and Iain (Goolangler) and I took the tubes up to Loch Park yesterday , its a long (about a mile , feels like 2 when you are carrying the tube and all your gear  :cool: ) loch set in a steep wooded valley between Kieth and Dufftown.
Its wild Brown Trout having been stocked with fingerlings from the Spey many moons ago.
The only problem with this loch is the horrendous weed problem , thats why its best to fish it early season. That said  the average size of trout is probably at least double the Scottish average, a 6-1/2 lber being caught and released last year.
Paul and I had a reasonable day with three fish to 1-1/2lb , Iain however swicked catching 1 trout and landing it 12 times  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4. At the end of the day Paul gave us a mountain climbing demonstation complete with rod and tube  :z4
Seriously Iain did superbly well catching 12 fish , all in all a gand day out.

On the down side , after sussing out Photobucket on Friday , I take the camera to find the batteries were flat  :z6

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

Re: Loch Park
« Reply #1 on: 12/04/2009 at 13:37 »
Sounds Great Jim, Im hoping to head up there myself in the next few weeks. There was talk last year that the owner was thinking about putting rainbows in. Did ye hear anything about this yesterday?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 12/04/2009 at 14:14 »
No mention of the Rainbows Noel , If they sorted out the weed problem they would get a lot more anglers , the guy said a lot of people come early season and did not come back.

Jim 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 12/04/2009 at 17:35 »
Twas a good day indeed Jim,

Massive pity about the weed rendering a fair percentage of the Loch unfishable. I hope that the weed is a bigger focus than thinking about introducing Rainbows.

Beautiful setting

nice larger than average trout

and you can tube it - Paul into a fish minutes after 'pushing off'

The pictures don't do the place justice (well my pictures don't)

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 12/04/2009 at 19:50 »
Sounds like i missed a good day  :cry
Never mind iam sure i will make up for it when i get onshore :wink
What were you fishing chaps? Bibio blobs for Paul & jim and i take it you were on PTN's and Peter Ross Iain  :wink
Some good photos anyway  :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 12/04/2009 at 21:12 »
Baz,
I was using my Snowbee XS buzzer tip with a team of three flies.
#12 GRHE c/w 2.5mm tungsten copper bead on tit point, a #12 Black Spider with a turn or two of fine red flat tinsel at the tag (used Magpie head feather for the hackle - very nice and supple) on the second dropper & a sparsely tied Olive emerger type thingy on the top.

Iain

Paul Rankine

Re: Loch Park New
« Reply #6 on: 12/04/2009 at 22:01 »
Hi All,
         Yep, it was a great day with wild brownies in a stunning setting.

Paul gave us a mountain climbing demonstration complete with rod and tube 

Not so easy to get out a certain bits which look Ok  to get out of....... Today Loch Park, next week Suilven !
However , the problem was not the steepish bank but the amount of branches , detritus and other material 3 feet out from the bank  which give the impression of being a solid bottom. It is,nt.

Sorry, didn't take the camera ,(must get a waterproof one ), but the brownies there are a picture to behold.
Everything a a wild brown trout should be. Beautiful fish.

No blobs , Heaven forbid   :oops.

I had on a PTN size 14 with a very small tungsten head , coloured black and a one of Henry's olive emergers . Might have been better switching that to a black fly in retrospect   :wink

The weed problem is the worst I,ve seen it so early in the season. Had a hard kick down the middle (which is impassible in mid summer) and this is only mid April. I can't understand why no efforts have been made to pull out some of the weed here. If it's left any longer there will effectively be two small lochans left. The owner told us that "the middle is silting up and is only about 7 feet deep now " . Yes , and ........

Great place though.

Paul.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 12/04/2009 at 22:49 »
Glad to hear you all had a good time and the fish look really wild and well marked  :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #8 on: 12/04/2009 at 23:04 »
Hi Baz,
          PM sent.
Paul.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 12/04/2009 at 23:15 »
Baz,
I was using my Snowbee XS buzzer tip with a team of three flies.

I just never did like that line, maybe it just never suited my casting!
I have the ridge mini tip which i like alot, anyone tried the new pink looking midge tip in the ridge range  :z8

Peter McCallum

« Reply #10 on: 12/04/2009 at 23:27 »
I have the ridge mini tip which i like alot, anyone tried the new pink looking midge tip in the ridge range  :z8

Got one & will give it a go this week Baz will let you know the scoop

Peter

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 13/04/2009 at 06:44 »

As a favour I'll take the line off your hands Baz  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 I love them need one in wf5 though.

I was fishing the new Ultra Supple Coating ridge floater  on Saturday, It does what it says on the tin , no memory , supple, shoots through the rings , only down side is the welded loop , but thats easy sorted.

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 13/04/2009 at 07:16 »
I had 1 outing with it Jim, it caught fish but just never turned my flies over the way i wanted it!
It now lives elsewhere  :z16
I just have a thing for the ridge lines i find them really punchy and great for casting into the wind and thats just how i like fishing nymphs  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com