Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Don Today
« Reply #165 on: 23/06/2009 at 12:38 »
Ben, surely you are not starting to like mfishing for tourists!!

Matt, told you before, if you are going down to the river for a tug, go behind a bush or something! ;)

Matt Henderson

« Reply #166 on: 29/06/2009 at 08:48 »
does anybody know who has the fishing rights on the opposite bank from the Aberdeenshire beat on the Don at Inverurie? 

I was fishing on Friday and there were two people acting very odly on the opposite bank.  One who had a spinning rod but wasn't actually winding his reel in to start it spinning and the other had a fly rod but was more or less just dropping his line into the water and leaving it there almost like he was dapping but he had too long a line for that. I'm pretty sure they were worming but I wouldn't have thought that was allowed.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #167 on: 29/06/2009 at 08:53 »
Hi "MDH"

If upstream of the bypass bridge, that would be the Crichie Fishings, a syndicate water run by Ian Muir that used to have a tackle shop in Bridge of Don. The Ian that runs Corby Loch.

Best wishes
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #168 on: 29/06/2009 at 10:01 »
thanks for that Mike.

Regards

Matt

Noel Kelly

« Reply #169 on: 30/06/2009 at 10:23 »
Anyone having much sucess recently. Feckers have got quiet fussy and are not impressed with my heavy handed efforts. Loads of fish activity (water was boiling in front of me last night) and some good ones as well but cant seem to get hookups with any consistency. Im thinking very small is probably the way to go ??? 

gibbyboy

« Reply #170 on: 30/06/2009 at 15:45 »
havent been on the Don in a couple of weeks but was out on the Dee at Garthdee last night....Water was alive with trout as the sun dissapeared....managed 3 brownies, biggest being around 1/2lb and 2 small sea trout....(all on a 15' salmon rod mind you  :z6)....

Anyone noticed any numbers of salmon / grilse up the river yet? Anything off Inverurie recently?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #171 on: 01/07/2009 at 00:09 »
first time out in a while tonight and it was quite tough going, fish everywhere though.  Managed 8 in total, largest fish just over 2lb.  Was taking them on a #18 black spider tied sparse & short on a light wire hook until about 11 then the rises changed so stuck on a small klink and had on that.  Dropped a nice fish, again!!

Cheers

Ben

j.r fartley

« Reply #172 on: 01/07/2009 at 17:10 »
i had an hour on the don today with my son, we managed 2 sticklebacks with a bandie net! :z4

Matt Henderson

« Reply #173 on: 01/07/2009 at 20:56 »
havent been on the Don in a couple of weeks but was out on the Dee at Garthdee last night....Water was alive with trout as the sun dissapeared....managed 3 brownies, biggest being around 1/2lb and 2 small sea trout....(all on a 15' salmon rod mind you  :z6)....

Anyone noticed any numbers of salmon / grilse up the river yet? Anything off Inverurie recently?

My boss had a 10lb salmon off the opposite bank to the Manar beat about a fortnight ago and told me he'd seen somebody else taking a salmon from the Parkhill beat (I think it was parkhill he said)

Matt Henderson

« Reply #174 on: 04/07/2009 at 12:56 »
left the office and went straight to kintore last night.  Fished from the top end of the beat back towards kintore until it was too dark to see, I'm too chicken to fish in the dark and wade too.  Had a few bandies and then a nice brown trout on a sea-trout fly.  Didn't see anyhting bigger moving though. 

Matt Henderson

« Reply #175 on: 08/07/2009 at 12:43 »
anybody know what conditions are like on the river? I was thinking of having a wee fish tonight if the weather is favourable?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #176 on: 08/07/2009 at 13:18 »
Few inches over the marker and brown at Kintore last night.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #177 on: 08/07/2009 at 22:05 »
Still a bit like cold tea tonight.  I had a bash with my new partridge 15ft rod at Kintore.  To be honest probably too coloured for the fly but the water was dropping. 

gibbyboy

« Reply #178 on: 04/08/2009 at 11:32 »
Any reports of salmon off the don recently??

furry boots? size?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #179 on: 04/08/2009 at 13:17 »
Not seen any near me for a while, trout fishing has been quite good though.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com