Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: Don Today
« Reply #135 on: 30/05/2009 at 08:34 »

Ben where are those pics of yer big fella??

Richard

Do we really want to see things like this?  :shock

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #136 on: 30/05/2009 at 15:09 »
Will get them up when I get home, went fishing again last night and did not get back until after midnight!!

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #137 on: 30/05/2009 at 15:25 »
Will get them up when I get home, went fishing again last night and did not get back until after midnight!!

Cheers

Ben
Orvis do night vision specs then? :z4

Richard
I was thinking mayfly from the body colour and size and clumsy apperance on the water only I never expected to see 1 on the don. It was just downstream from an area like you mentioned.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #138 on: 30/05/2009 at 20:52 »
Eventually, a few pictures.  No particular order.

Big one taken on Thursday

One on the woolly bugger!

Cheers

Ben

Ben Dixon

« Reply #139 on: 31/05/2009 at 00:22 »
Orvis do night vision specs then? :z4

I wish they did Noel, ones that would allow you to spot the location of rising fish after dark.  The river has not really kicked off where I have been until after 10PM this week.  Last night was tough and the fish were only really on for about 40 mins between about 10:40 & 11:20, struggled until then but managed 4 decent fish in that time nothing huge but I have marked the locations of some nice fish.  Some of which will take some serious work to catch, probably be a case of wading into position and waiting until they start to feed as they are in very calm areas of water. 

Monymusk on Monday so will post an update then

Cheers

Ben

Richard Tong

« Reply #140 on: 31/05/2009 at 01:08 »
Just back from seeing The Damned in Leeds - remember them anyone or am I showing my age? Dave Vanian and Captain Sensible still at the helm!

Ben,you need some serious help with the camera!! It's a nightmare when you are on your own trying to take a pic,especially at night :z8t .

You may find that they will tolerate you wading at that time of night even though the flow is not fast. Not a bad idea if you know where your quarry is to get into position before it all kicks off. I am sure that you have already found that you can approach far closer than you can in daylight.........

Keep up the good work,

Richard

Mike Barrio

« Reply #141 on: 31/05/2009 at 01:13 »
Hi Richard

I think Ben's photos are fine on his PC, but since he is posting them at a fair bit more than 700 pixels wide max ...... they are not displaying well on the forum :z6

Cheers
Mike

j.r fartley

« Reply #142 on: 02/06/2009 at 19:50 »
i might be wrong but im assuming this is the fish caught at monymusk! http://paulprocter.blogspot.com/  :z15

Richard Tong

« Reply #143 on: 02/06/2009 at 22:51 »
Yes it is. I never saw it as Paul called me when it was in the net but there was no reception and by the time I saw him next he had returned it otherwise we would have got better photos,

Richard

j.r fartley

« Reply #144 on: 02/06/2009 at 22:59 »
Yes it is. I never saw it as Paul called me when it was in the net but there was no reception and by the time I saw him next he had returned it otherwise we would have got better photos,

Richard
  that would be the fish of a lifetime for me  :z4 don trout are fantastic!  :z18

Noel Kelly

« Reply #145 on: 05/06/2009 at 09:54 »
Mixed fortunes last night. Went down about 8.30, few small yellow uprights about (yellow mays?) and black knats. Had a few small fish on drys then tried a bit of high sticking nymphs in the fast water in amongst the weed beds. Had 1 half lber which I was delighted with as nymphs normally dont work for me. A very enjoyable way to fish.
Changed back to drys about 10 and headed for a spot that I have seen some and caught a few good fish from this year.
There was a good fish rising steadily mid stream as soon as I got to my chosen spot. Must have covered it 20 times resting the spot after every few casts.
Quiet tricky in the darkness as its hard to tell if your flys are in the right spot, drag free and floating!
Exciting stuff though seeing a good fish feeding hard right in front of me.
Well eventually the presentation was acceptable and I had a take, made contact for just long enough to know this was a GOOD fish and gone :cry 
So that was the end of that one. Moved on to another favourite spot where I saw a few more decent risers but   "oncers".
Stuck at it until nearly midnight but the action seemed to have died by 11.30. 
I'll be back :z15

Iain Goolager

« Reply #146 on: 05/06/2009 at 12:34 »
Hi Noel, how do you get the time?  :mad :z4

Just back from seeing The Damned in Leeds - remember them anyone or am I showing my age?

Yes! I bought their single 'Love Song' back in mnmnmnmnmnm..... 1977? yes I was a Punk I'm afraid.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #147 on: 05/06/2009 at 12:57 »
Hi Noel, how do you get the time?  :mad :z4

quote]
New job so working a lot less hours :grin
For a lot less money :cry

Ben Dixon

« Reply #148 on: 05/06/2009 at 19:31 »
Good stuff Noel.  Not fished much this week but will be out over the weekend and going to fish Monymusk on Monday provided conditions do not deteriorate too much over the weekend.  I found the same last week, fish were coming on about 10pm until about half 11. 

Cheers

Ben

sightbob

« Reply #149 on: 06/06/2009 at 17:57 »
hi ben
i was just looking at the photo's you posted. are these typical don browns because only the first one looks like a brown the rest look very much like sea trout to me but never have fished for don browns i'm probably wrong just going by the silvery colour and the square spots.
 :z18
brian

p.s. nice fish :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com