Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Duncan McRae

Re: Don Today
« Reply #105 on: 20/05/2009 at 15:35 »
gibbyboy

Haven't been on the river this week but noticed that not a single salmon was reported from any of the ADAA beats.This must be an unwelcome first for this time of year!
What's happened to the Don?

The first seatrout of the year should be starting to appear around now so it might be worth a cast in the evening.
I'm praying that their numbers increase this year.

Duncan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #106 on: 20/05/2009 at 20:36 »
There are salmon about, I had one this evening just below Kintore, about 9lb, no lice but still fairly fresh, size 7 gold bodied cascade on a Sink 1 line with 3ips tip.  Did not see any other fish today but there were several splashing around at Kintore on Monday and, I also saw a few fish on Thursday before the water came up so would be worth a shot at Kemnay & above by now I would think.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #107 on: 21/05/2009 at 14:44 »
Ben,
Is it possible to get a visitors ticket for Kintore...since I drive through the place every night on my way home? Makes sense to stop for a cast or 3.

Ta

Noel Kelly

« Reply #108 on: 21/05/2009 at 18:01 »
Ben,
Is it possible to get a visitors ticket for Kintore...since I drive through the place every night on my way home? Makes sense to stop for a cast or 3.

Ta

You can buy a day ticket in Kintore post office. Open until 5.30 I think. 

Bronzebommer

« Reply #109 on: 21/05/2009 at 22:22 »
I was out tonight for the Trout, hooked into a double figure Salmon just below the bridge at Kintore. No surprises, I lost it! :cry Still it was a bit of excitement.

gibbyboy

« Reply #110 on: 22/05/2009 at 08:38 »
Nightmare! one of the few times probably you wouldnt want to hook into such a fish....rocking the lightwait trout gear...

Inverurie on saturday....if the weather stays reasonable it will be at a much better hight with the rains of this week.....more to come today I see?

Hamish Young

« Reply #111 on: 22/05/2009 at 18:13 »
Ben,

Ta

Rob,
You might find this useful  :wink

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/parks/fishing/fishing_season_permits.asp

Hamish  :z3

Iain Goolager

« Reply #112 on: 22/05/2009 at 21:32 »
There are salmon about, I had one this evening just below Kintore, about 9lb

Good show MR D! 

I was out tonight for the Trout, hooked into a double figure Salmon just below the bridge at Kintore. No surprises, I lost it!

Still.............. gets the wee hearty going though Mr Bronzebommer

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #113 on: 22/05/2009 at 23:32 »
Rob,
You might find this useful  :wink

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/parks/fishing/fishing_season_permits.asp

Hamish  :z3

I found that link about 2 minutes after asking the quesion...lol..bu was to embaressed to say!.

Will pack a rod...just in case of course. Pity I was not in the ADAA...about 500 yards from the river..lol

clark

« Reply #114 on: 23/05/2009 at 12:09 »
hey rob you can get day tickets for certain beats at sommers now i am pretty sure.

calum

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #115 on: 23/05/2009 at 15:40 »
Was out at Kintore yesterday. (22nd) Fished from about 1200 to 1700. River was about two inches under red marker on the guage.
Was fishing the right hand bank. Started off fishing down through what i think is Laws pool with a sink tip and size 8 allys shrimp. No fish moving. About half way down i hooked a fish right under the tree on the opposite bank. got a pull then two sharpe tugs. It launched itself out the water and through the hook as quick as that!!! Was probably about 4-5lbs. maybe a sea trout.
Then worked my way down to Boat hole??? (new to these pools)
Fished down through this with no joy. Then had a walk back to laws pool and worked my way down it with a silver stoat. (can you tell i like this pool?) Never saw another fish.
An enjoyable wee afternoon, apart from the occasional heavy shower, and the closest i have come yet to a Don silver tourist!! lol.

Incidently.... at about half two there was a rise of small black flies (dont know what they were?)and several trout were rising steadily for about half an hour. Even in the high water.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #116 on: 26/05/2009 at 00:06 »
fished last night after the Don Trust day until about 11PM, fish came on about 10 and between us we had several nice trout biggest was over 3lb, seemed to be taking very small caddis that appeared just as it was getting dark.  fished at Monymusk today, was not much of a hatch, small number of olive uprights, a few sedges, black gnats and a handful of medium olives with very few fish showing.  Managed one trout at 2lb, one at 1lb11oz and several others between 1/2 & 3/4lb, all on size 16 olive Klink (tied on 15BNX) and lost what was definitely the largest trout I have ever hooked.  Biggest I have heard of today was a 4lb7oz, going back tomorrow  :grin

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #117 on: 27/05/2009 at 19:39 »
Tough day on the Don at Monymusk yesterday..... managed one fish of about a pound on a bloody HUGE green nymph under a dry 'kiwi' style.
Plenty of flies about, but a quite coloured river really put a downer on things  :roll
So pointless was it that I had a kip for an hour or so  :wink

Hopefully Ben has an amusing pic of the lengths I'll go to retrieve his flies from trees......  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Pity it was so pants as it'll be the last chance I'll get to fish the Don for some time  :cry

Oh well  :z8 That's fishing  :z7

Hamish  :z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #118 on: 27/05/2009 at 20:45 »
Was tough Hamish, baffled by the increase in colour as the day went on, makes little sense when the river was very obviously dropping.  fun day all the same.  Saw only two decent trout move all day, both moved only once each, two small fish was all I managed for the day, given conditions, I am happy with that.

Away down to the river just now although it is still carrying a fair bit of colour at Kintore.  I want that brute that tried to snaffle the trout that Paul was playing at the weekend, I know where he lives and I will wait as long as is necessary but, I will get him eventually  :grin

I do have the picture of you in tree surgeon mode Hamish, I will get all my pics banged up tomorrow, I have stacks to upload.

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #119 on: 27/05/2009 at 22:05 »
Good stuff lads keep em coming. Looking forward to your pics Ben.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com