Barry Robertson

Re: Don Today
« Reply #75 on: 18/04/2009 at 16:14 »
What is alot of people  :?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #76 on: 18/04/2009 at 19:51 »
What is alot of people  :?
Ah good question, well there was 4 cars parked at one access point and i met 2 guys who were parked elsewhere so at least 6. Thats a lot for this beat. Two guys decided to join me on the riffle i was fishing after watching me release a fish which was nice and cosy :shock  :z4

Noel Kelly

« Reply #77 on: 24/04/2009 at 17:00 »
Out today, strong upstream wind which made me feel like i was loch style fishing with the rolling waves. No hatch at all that i could see. Propected with drys and must have rose and missed 2 dozen fish. Only hooked and landed a few in the first half hour and they were all small. Lots of salmon parr having a go which can be a bit off-putting.
Any ideas in how to convert these rises into takes? I tried different sizes, letting them turn on the fly and striking as fast as i could, none of which worked ???
My theory is with no flies hatching and no surface activity at all, the fish were making a half hearted swipe at the fly and not really commiting themselves. I guess another more accurate theory could be that im shite :z8   
Now im thinking about it maybe a nymph or spider on a short dropper nz style would have been a good idea?
Im planning fishing the same water tomorrow so im open to suggestions.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #78 on: 24/04/2009 at 19:45 »
Yes, I'd try spiders Noel :z16

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #79 on: 25/04/2009 at 20:53 »
Good day today few rising as soon as i reached the river. When casting to the first rise changed direction to cover a nearer better looking rise and a nice fish about 1.5lb to rabbitangler,s (Peter) MB. Had another lovely fish of 20 inches to the same fly later that absolutely hammered it, rising a foot out of the water on the take, and lots more acrobatics followed. Have a photo or two that I will post asap.   

Paul Rankine

« Reply #80 on: 25/04/2009 at 21:10 »
Hi Noel,
           Well done. I don't know about the I,m shite bit .  :wink   You seem to be doing pretty well so far !

Sometimes the fish are just like that . I guess it's why we call it fishing  and not catching .

Interesting that you mentioned lots of people out , maybe the fish are wising up a bit ?

Anyways, keep going !!

Paul.

garry john

« Reply #81 on: 26/04/2009 at 09:08 »
hi noel what beats do u fish on the don? i wouldnt mind joining u 4 a day if thats ok?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #82 on: 26/04/2009 at 11:05 »
Hi Garry john
I fish the council beats. Most fridays and saturdays im on one or the other from 11 onwards. Not sure about next weekend though might be doing this :z18. I will send you my mobile number by pm.
Noel. 

Noel Kelly

« Reply #83 on: 26/04/2009 at 11:53 »
Here are a few pics from yesterday

j.r fartley

« Reply #84 on: 26/04/2009 at 15:30 »
nice photos and lovely lookin fish noel,iv never visited your stretch of the water,might be worth a go some time!  :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #85 on: 27/04/2009 at 18:56 »
Good day out today, reasonable hatch of LDOs with fish moving to them quite freely from about 12 until 4 depsite the cold strong wind.  Had a good number of fish on olive parachutes and klinks but nothing big, largest 1lb11oz.

Cheers

Ben

Paul Rankine

« Reply #86 on: 27/04/2009 at 20:08 »
Hi Noel,
           Nice pic of an adult stonefly.
Ben,
       " but nothing big, largest 1lb11oz."

Aye right mate . :z4  That's plenty big for a river troot  :z18  Good stuff.

Often think it's odd that some folk think that you need warm weather for flies to hatch eh ?  :wink

Paul.

gibbyboy

« Reply #87 on: 30/04/2009 at 08:34 »
went out to inverurie after work last night for a couple of hours.....

was very bright, water was very low and it was fairly breezy....so all in all nae perfect!!

didnt see any fish moving....couple of small trout...very few though....hope theres a bit of rain before the weekend..

Alex Thain

« Reply #88 on: 01/05/2009 at 18:26 »
first time on the don today; briliant  :z16 :z16 :z16 had a brownie 1lbs and one too 3 1/2 lbs also had a sea trout 5/6 pounds all on my barrio 3weight great fun

Jim Eddie

« Reply #89 on: 01/05/2009 at 19:32 »
Thats a great day Koi Keeper  :z16

:z18

Jim 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com