Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

indieangler

Re: Don Today
« Reply #60 on: 15/04/2009 at 13:24 »
Thanks for the information Hares Lug! I'll have a car with me while I'm in the area, are there different beats of the Don I should check out while I'm around instead of just sticking to this area?

Hamish Young

« Reply #61 on: 15/04/2009 at 14:17 »
Yes :!
Irvine (hares lug) knows the waters around Glenkindie far better than I (Glenkindie is 5 minutes down the river from Colquhonnie) and that water would be worth a look as would the beats at Littlewood, Castle Forbes, Whitehaugh and (ofcourse) Monymusk  :z17
Semeil waters at Strathdon also worth asking about when you're at the hotel.
That should keep you going for a bit  :wink

Hamish  :z3

indieangler

« Reply #62 on: 15/04/2009 at 14:54 »
Thanks for the helpful information. I don't quite understand the licensing / beat system you guys use over here. Back in the US, you usually buy a license for your state and you're free to fish any parts of any of the rivers and lakes and it's not really divided into different sections of the rivers like it seems to be over here. What I'm getting at is, I'm assuming I'll need some different type of ticket/license than the one I'm getting from the hotel to fish their beat, if I choose to branch out to these other areas?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #63 on: 15/04/2009 at 17:28 »
Thanks for the helpful information. I don't quite understand the licensing / beat system you guys use over here. Back in the US, you usually buy a license for your state and you're free to fish any parts of any of the rivers and lakes and it's not really divided into different sections of the rivers like it seems to be over here. What I'm getting at is, I'm assuming I'll need some different type of ticket/license than the one I'm getting from the hotel to fish their beat, if I choose to branch out to these other areas?
Yes the river is broken up into beats, which are sections of the river. A beat may be left bank or right bank only which means you cant fish from the opposite bank, you can wade right up to it though :wink
Have a look here for beat information, prices and contact info.
http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-brown-trout-fishing.html
Your hotel should be able to help you out as well i would presume.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #64 on: 15/04/2009 at 20:31 »
Hi Ben,

Thanks for that. I tend to fish klink and dink if there is not much rising and then switch to dry if any semblance of a rise starts. I take it a beasthamer is a very large klink ?

It is a large Klink tied on a size 12 Partridge 15BNX hook, black body with an opal mirage rib, pink post and grizzle hackle, I use it as an indicator also when fishing NZ style.  The fly brings fish up from nowhere when there is no hatch (unless you are on the Don), I have had good success fishing NZ style on the Don but really enjoy fishing spiders  :grin

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #65 on: 15/04/2009 at 20:52 »
I'm sure it's been mused over many a time but I've no real confidence in the positive hook up ability of the dry when fishing a Klink & Dink NZ style.
What's the general opinion?
Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #66 on: 15/04/2009 at 21:08 »
I am not usually expecting to get fish taking the dry when fishing like that, it is there as an indicator mainly although it does catch me fish occasionally.  I dont know how it affects hook up as I usually remove the nymph when fish begin rising freely and have never really experimented.  I will leave a nymph on next time I am fishing to rising fish and report back.  for me the main point is that the Klink does not always sit right with a nymph on the bend, that must surely affect the chances of a fish hitting it in the first place.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #67 on: 15/04/2009 at 21:23 »
Yeah,
I'd heard that it's a good way to fish the nymph and an indicator of when the fish are prepared to come to the surface, fair enough - I just think I'd be piddled if I was to miss a 'oncer' due to the dropper being tied to the sighters' bend.

Anyone fish the Klink & Dink with the dry tied off of a short traditional dropper length?

Just interested.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #68 on: 15/04/2009 at 21:27 »
There is a guy I know who fishes the Clyde who uses a klink on a dropper, he rates that set up and he catches a LOT of fish, stupidly I have not really played about with it but on the basis of his success it must be worth a try

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #69 on: 15/04/2009 at 21:32 »
Will definitely give it a try next time I'm out :z15

Barry Robertson

« Reply #70 on: 15/04/2009 at 21:54 »
Will definitely give it a try next time I'm out :z15

Never took you for a float fisher Iain  :z4 Sure you dont just want to take a thingymabobber instead  :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #71 on: 15/04/2009 at 22:16 »
Baz,
an extract from Isaac Waltons'  'The True Fisherman'

"Blessed is the angler whom caste a floating fly on the merest of dropper gut whilst supporting a slip of a nymph beyond"

:z7

BLUFF

Noel Kelly

« Reply #72 on: 17/04/2009 at 17:08 »
Went down today, tried to convince myself I was not frozen but gave up quickly. Cold NE wind, not a fly in sight. Sat watching for about half an hour then sense prevailed. Well if you call spending a small fortune in B&Q sense :shock
Looking like more of the same weather tomorrow so herself will be happy, diy may have to be attempted.

SAY

« Reply #73 on: 17/04/2009 at 17:54 »
Their have been some runs of grilse coming through the river Don over the last couple of days. I Lost one on Friday and watched someone return a lovely grilse around 4-5lb this afternoon from the same pool. Couple of other fish seen running.

Grilse runs, late last year and seem to be  early this year??? 

rattrala,

I don't think these fish are grilse, they are likely to be small springers.  There have been quite a few small springers around the 5lb mark being caught on the Dee since the season opened and has continued.  The river board are concerned and have requested the Ghillies and anglers to take scale samples as they intend to carry out a review to confirm if they are 1SW or 2SW fish.

I had a fish from the Dee on opening week that was 5lb in size, I put it down to it being an early fish.  My Dad had a fish off the Spey at the beginning of April that was also around the 5lb mark. 

Runs don't seem to be getting earlier, so I would guess they are fish that are not getting a good feed in the high seas.

SAY

Noel Kelly

« Reply #74 on: 18/04/2009 at 16:13 »
Out for a few hours today, good hatch of olives and plenty fish rising. Had about 1/2 a dozen but all small. A lot of folk fishing today.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com