Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: Don Today
« Reply #45 on: 13/04/2009 at 19:57 »
Went for a jaunt around Kemnay and Alford today and had a great wee time. Quite a few fish in the 10 - 12" bracket and a lovely bonus to christen the new rod.

Roll on the next time (which will probably be June!)

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #46 on: 13/04/2009 at 20:51 »
Nice rod Iain, fish aint bad either :z4

Did you weigh the fish?

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #47 on: 13/04/2009 at 21:25 »
No, but I carry a 'Streamworks' mini tape measure and it was +/- 23" long.

It was released.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #48 on: 13/04/2009 at 21:44 »
That looks like a heavy fish Iain :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #49 on: 13/04/2009 at 21:45 »
Iain , you are in the groove mate  :z16

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #50 on: 13/04/2009 at 21:45 »
Too much IMHO  :shock

I think £20 is a reasonable price  :z8

Hamish Young

« Reply #51 on: 13/04/2009 at 22:10 »
I think £20 is a reasonable price  :z8

I guess it all depends on the individual, I'm not being funny but this is a debate I want to get into right now Baz - sorry  :z6
Reasons why will become apparent in time  :wink

Jim Doyle

« Reply #52 on: 14/04/2009 at 19:32 »
Aye its easy when they are rising Baz its when they are not , its all about being in the right place at the right time.

£20

Jim
Barry and I have a very subtle approach to fish that are hesitant to rise...........orange blob at 30mph :z12 :z12

Ben Dixon

« Reply #53 on: 14/04/2009 at 22:10 »
Another good day today, a lot of fish rising depsite a rather sparse hatch of LDOs, best fish 2lb4oz, will get some pics up tomorrow.  Hatch (LDOs) started about 12:30 and fish were active from about 12 until about 3 with the odd fish still moving occasionally at 5pm, also saw big clouds of midge alough the fish were on Olives.

Cheers

Ben

Paul Rankine

« Reply #54 on: 14/04/2009 at 22:49 »
Hi Ben,
           Well done . No hatches of orange blobs then  :z4  :z4  :z4 .

What were you fishing dries or nymphs , or a mixture ?

Paul.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #55 on: 14/04/2009 at 22:56 »
Hi Paul,

Had two on one of my beasthamers and the rest on an olive klink, missed two fish on nymphs / spiders first thing.  I have not tried an orange blob on the Don, yet.  I did have some success on a black fritz nomad rolly pollied on a type VI sink September though  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #56 on: 14/04/2009 at 23:01 »
Ben,

are you off this week as well? or were you 'working'? :wink

indieangler

« Reply #57 on: 15/04/2009 at 11:51 »
I'm coming up and staying at the Colquhonnie Hotel next week and will be fishing Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday on the Don. I've never been to Scotland before and I know nothing of the area really. (I'm American). Can anyone tell me what part of the river (lower, middle, upper) this stretch is on?

Irvine Ross

« Reply #58 on: 15/04/2009 at 12:22 »
Hello Indieangler and welcome to the forum.

The Colquhonnie Hotel beat are certainly in the upper part of the river. The hatch of olives has started but on the last two Saturdays I have been out the fishing has been slow. However the weather forecast says the wind is due to turn southerly on Sunday with a lift in temperature so the beginning of next week could be OK.

Tight Lines

Irvine

Paul Rankine

« Reply #59 on: 15/04/2009 at 12:34 »
Hi Ben,

Hi Paul,

Had two on one of my beasthamers and the rest on an olive klink, missed two fish on nymphs / spiders first thing.  I have not tried an orange blob on the Don, yet.  I did have some success on a black fritz nomad rolly pollied on a type VI sink September though  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Thanks for that. I tend to fish klink and dink if there is not much rising and then switch to dry if any semblance of a rise starts. I take it a beasthamer is a very large klink ?

I know we're joking about lures in the Don but I know of a certain Richard Walker  (used to have a shop in King st , not the other one !), who used to swear by large black IPN's as a fish catcher throughout the season.

Maybe should,nt post that here. :oops

Tight Lines

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com