Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: Don Today
« Reply #30 on: 11/04/2009 at 20:19 »
This river looks like its filled with nice trout!
What beat are you fishing Noel and where do i get a permit  :z8
Thanks
Baz :z18
Sure seems like that at the moment Baz and any I have caught are still in there :grin. Have to add I have had more blank days on the don in the last two years than i care to remember. If fish are not rising it can be a very dour place. Im fishing the council beats of Inverurie and Kintore, got my season ticket at Kintore post office but they are available in a few places.  

Noel Kelly

« Reply #31 on: 11/04/2009 at 20:57 »
Have just been replacing the pics i have put up in the last week or so with bigger versions, hope they are ok Mike? Am finding it hard to tell the width from photobucket :oops
Have also been having a think about posting pics like those on a public forum and am wondering if its wise. I return all my fish when its somewhere like The Don which gets a fair bit of fishing pressure. Different if im on a highland loch thats stuffed with trout, then I will sometimes take a few for the table.
What i dont want is to attract people who will kill large fish without any thought so im thinking it may be better not to post anymore pics at least on a thread that names the river. Thoughts?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 11/04/2009 at 21:30 »
Have just been replacing the pics i have put up in the last week or so with bigger versions, hope they are ok Mike? Am finding it hard to tell the width from photobucket :oops
Hi folks :cool:
If I remember correctly, I think photobucket has an online photo resizing tool, I'm not sure? :oops

Please remember that photos for the forum "GALLERY" can be uploaded directly on to our forum via the gallery and can be up to 800 pixels wide ...... Remotely hosted photos to post in threads (hosted on photobucket etc) need to be up to 700 pixels wide max please, if they are wider than this we get a side scroll bar and it mucks up viewing the thread :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #33 on: 11/04/2009 at 21:38 »
If you go to resize image in photo bucket and set the image to the large template its almost bang on the right size for a forum post!  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 11/04/2009 at 21:59 »
Have also been having a think about posting pics like those on a public forum and am wondering if its wise. I return all my fish when its somewhere like The Don which gets a fair bit of fishing pressure. Different if im on a highland loch thats stuffed with trout, then I will sometimes take a few for the table.
What i dont want is to attract people who will kill large fish without any thought so im thinking it may be better not to post anymore pics at least on a thread that names the river. Thoughts?
Hi Noel ....... Good question! :z16

To be totally honest, IMHO most of the River Don is under fished :shock I know there are areas which are "popular", but there is an awful lot more water out there that is rarely fished or under fished for one reason or another :wink

I would perhaps suggest that you are tempting some cracking fish recently because you have taken the time to get to know the river Noel, served the apprenticeship if you like, which is really great to see! :wink

I love seeing the photos and I am sure they are good for the river! As for your question ..... I would suggest that photos would be better described as "a fish caught and released on the River Don today" with a barbless Greenwells Spider, or a barbless Hare's Ear Klink etc and that no mention is made of the beat or the location. Let's face it, there are some cracking brownies throughout the whole river system and there is so much water to explore.

Visitors should be made welcome ...... but they should also be made aware that we do not kill or take these cracking fish on the River Don!

So, IMHO .... photos - yes, name the River Don - yes, but don't name the beat or location :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #35 on: 11/04/2009 at 22:05 »

So, IMHO .... photos - yes, name the River Don - yes, but don't name the beat or location :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Unless it is in a PM to me  :z4

I was out casting tonight, had no flies with me but saw some very large trout moving, one came clean out of the water twice but not sure what for  :grin

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #36 on: 11/04/2009 at 22:23 »

I was out casting tonight, had no flies with me but saw some very large trout moving, one came clean out of the water twice but not sure what for  :grin

Ben

It wanted a good laugh  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

rattrala

« Reply #37 on: 11/04/2009 at 22:42 »
Their have been some runs of grilse coming through the river Don over the last couple of days. I Lost one on Friday and watched someone return a lovely grilse around 4-5lb this afternoon from the same pool. Couple of other fish seen running.

Grilse runs, late last year and seem to be  early this year??? 

Ben Dixon

« Reply #38 on: 11/04/2009 at 23:30 »
It wanted a good laugh  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Aye, very good :z4

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #39 on: 12/04/2009 at 13:41 »

Ben
Thats interesting, I wouldnt think of fishing late into the evening this early in the year.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #40 on: 12/04/2009 at 22:26 »
Neither would I usually.

Was out teaching today on the river for most of the day.  Hatches were good, March Browns, LDOs & large stones coming off from about 11 - 2 with good numbers of fish moving to them.  Activity stopped about 3 and I counted only 4 fish moving after that was on the water until 7:30.  There were a lot of midge about this evening and I suspect that it was these that the trout were taking last nite.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #41 on: 13/04/2009 at 06:50 »
This river looks like its filled with nice trout!
What beat are you fishing Noel and where do i get a permit  :z8
Thanks
Baz :z18

Baz

I usually have a go on the Don on the Monnymusk beats http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/monymusk-fishings.html Rabbitangler got his PB trout here. Its a bit like Mike said you have to serve the appernticeship , you can't really expect to turn up and get trophy trout , you also need a bit of luck with the conditions.

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #42 on: 13/04/2009 at 07:19 »
A rising trout on the Don is the same as a rising trout on the South esk surely  :wink
Might have to pop up next time home and find out :z4
How much will a ticket on the monymusk beat sting me?

Hamish Young

« Reply #43 on: 13/04/2009 at 07:22 »

Too much IMHO  :shock

Jim Eddie

« Reply #44 on: 13/04/2009 at 19:49 »
A rising trout on the Don is the same as a rising trout on the South esk surely  :wink
Might have to pop up next time home and find out :z4

Aye its easy when they are rising Baz its when they are not , its all about being in the right place at the right time.

£20

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com