Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: Don Today
« Reply #15 on: 10/04/2009 at 20:14 »
Went down today at about 1 and my first sight of the river was fish rising :grin Must admit i was a tad excited setting up as i could see about 6 fish rising steadily within casting range. Think thats a first :z4 Several casts later the excitement was turning to slight something else as they were all ignoring my offerings. Quick change of flys and bang first cast :cool: Had 4 in all, over an hour or 2 ranging from 3/4lb to very decent :grin
Here is a pic of the best of the day and also a pic of what i suspect may be my first ever seatrout?

Seatrout???

Jim Eddie

« Reply #16 on: 10/04/2009 at 20:36 »
Hey Noel you are doing well this season  :z16 I'm never sure about sea-trout , I think Salmon have a convex tail and sea trout a concave one , or is it the other way about  :z8

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #17 on: 10/04/2009 at 20:41 »
Hi Noel,

Great sport yet again!

Second one's a Brown - is the net giving it the impression of having a distinctly forked tail?

Large Sea-Trout form a convex tail

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #18 on: 10/04/2009 at 20:47 »
Aye I always getting my concaves and convexes mixed up  :wink

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #19 on: 10/04/2009 at 20:49 »
Not sure about the tail didnt really notice at the time. What made me think it may be a seatrout is the silvery colour and that it fought like crazy. The pic doesnt really do it justice. Must start carrying my camera again but then again i carried it a lot last year and mostly photographed.....flowers and scenery.    

Iain Goolager

« Reply #20 on: 10/04/2009 at 20:51 »
That's nothing Jim, the last time I fished for Salmon on the Don I had such a short time so was in a hurry and actually put my left boot on my right foot?

silly ninny! :oops

Barry Robertson

« Reply #21 on: 10/04/2009 at 21:37 »
What like of set up were you using Noel, rod,leader flies etc,
Cheers
Baz

Noel Kelly

« Reply #22 on: 10/04/2009 at 22:52 »
Hi Baz using a scott 4/5 weight built by our own Sandy :z16 A Barrio DT4 line with 6ft tapered leader and 4ft of clear mono tippet. Two dries about 2 foot apart, todays sucessfull were cdc and elk, cul de canon and an olive cdc thingy i got from a mate. I think the choice of fly is not as important as being in the right place at the right time. One thing im doing this year which might be making a difference is degreasing the leader every few casts. Out again tomorrow, whats the bets on a blank :z4

Peter McCallum

« Reply #23 on: 10/04/2009 at 23:06 »
Hi Baz using a scott 4/5 weight built by our own Sandy :z16 A Barrio DT4 line with 6ft tapered leader and 4ft of dreddan clear mono tippet. Two dries about 2 foot apart, todays sucessfull were cdc and elk, cul de canon and an olive cdc thingy i got from a mate. I think the choice of fly is not as important as being in the right place at the right time. One thing im doing this year which might be making a difference is degreasing the leader every few casts. Out again tomorrow, whats the bets on a blank :z4

Better not be with the secret weapons :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 10/04/2009 at 23:13 »
Nice fish Noel :z16

The second one could be a Slob trout, not uncommon on the Don.
They are Brownies that decide to pop down to the estuary for a while (often during winter when the food is scarce) , where they feed on estuary food take on a lovely silver sheen and then disappear back upstream for when the flies start to hatch. They go like buggery and for my sins in the "old days" they taste beautiful :z3

Keep it up, i'll have to find a window in my ridiculous schedule :shock

Sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #25 on: 11/04/2009 at 19:15 »
Tougher day today, blue skys and an unfavourable wind. Good numbers of olives hatching with the odd MB. Only saw a few rising fish and most seemed to be one offs. Wind was causing major problems and just couldnt seem to position myself where i could cover a fish. Did a lot of prospecting in likely runs without a touch, still good fun though.
Heading back to the car i noticed what looked like a few fish moving midriver just under the surface, so once i got below them tried a cast into the activity. Was rewarded by an immediate take and after a good tussel landed this lovely fish.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 11/04/2009 at 19:40 »
Another cracking fish Noel ....... Well done :z16

If you have time, do you fancy uploading an 800 pix wide version of the photo in the gallery? :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #27 on: 11/04/2009 at 19:53 »
Sure will Mike, having a play with it now so to practice i will try replace the one above, tried this before but they came out too big for some reason. How,s that size?

emerger

« Reply #28 on: 11/04/2009 at 19:56 »
I have had a great couple of days dry fly fishing on the Don. Yesterday there was a great rise from 12-2.00pm resulting  in numerous fish, 5 over the 2lb mark best at around 3 lbs. Today conditions were not ideal, bright, sunny and breezy fortunately managed to tempt 3 best at 25 inch 5lb +. All fish were safely returned.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #29 on: 11/04/2009 at 20:06 »
This river looks like its filled with nice trout!
What beat are you fishing Noel and where do i get a permit  :z8
Thanks
Baz :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com