Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Don Today
« on: 05/04/2009 at 22:15 »
At last I got a trout fly wetted on the Don.
I meant to try the Urie but my roving ticket does not indicate that it is fishable on a Sunday? (is it, anyone?) so I headed off to Lower Parkhill.

I only had a couple of hours and as I was planning to fish spiders and a nymph on the point regardless of water height or what the fish were doing I headed straight in. I liked the look of the water at the Bridge so that's where I started. I was casting 45 degrees upstream and letting the team flow down and swing round with a high rod tip and although I was initially getting some stops and pulls I couldn't connect with anything. Fortunately that run brought two nice Browns of about 10" to the net with another lost (both were stocked fish and also released).

Not the biggest of fish but I could catch these all season without a problem - and they put a very nice bend in a 3wt.

Another nice wee spot slightly further down the beat produced another two nice 10" Browns (one stocked and one wild - both released)

There was a smattering of Olives at about 1:45 and a fair amount of March Browns but only two tiddlers and one reasonable fish tackling them ??? lasted for 20 - 30 min's.

Flies were;
Gold Bead PTN on point 1 fish, Woodcock & Purple 2 fish & Waterhen Bloa 1 Fish

Look forward to trying the better water further down the Beat.

Iain

Barry Robertson

Re: Don Today
« Reply #1 on: 05/04/2009 at 22:22 »
Well done Iain  :z16
Sounds like you had some good sport  :z15

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 05/04/2009 at 22:26 »
Yes Baz,

it was nice to fish the river again for Trout and I was well pleased with the result.

Iain

Dave Gordon

« Reply #3 on: 05/04/2009 at 22:35 »
This months Don report now on the website:

www.riverdon.org.uk

D

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 05/04/2009 at 22:41 »
Hi Dave,

Will the Hatchery DVD be avail. at the upcoming open day?

Iain

Dave Gordon

« Reply #5 on: 06/04/2009 at 10:20 »
Certainly will be available, it is also available on line at the ADAA sales site. It is selling well as all procedes go to improving the river!

The trust will employ our first biologist later this month and will immediatly be carrying out survey work for the FMP and looking at removing the obstructions to migration, we have two in particular that we hope are easy fixes and block some excellent habitat. One blocks an unbelievable 85k!

We will be starting a friends of the river don trust later this month, with monthly updates, 1/4lynews letter and access to all our planned events, included a dinner in Aberdeens top hotel!

D

Duncan McRae

« Reply #6 on: 06/04/2009 at 14:35 »
Hello Iain

Could find nothing on my permit or the council website stating that Sunday fishing is permitted on the Urie.
However, the Fishdon website does state that Sunday fishing is permitted there.

Don't think you missed much yesterday.
After lunch, I had a walk from the meetings up to the Oldmeldrum bridge and saw no feeding trout.
I did see a couple of decent sized trout taking Olives above the railway bridge on the Inverurie beat.

Regards
Duncan

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 06/04/2009 at 18:57 »
Nice one Iain , looks like you had a good day , I was always under the impression you could fish the Urie on a Sunday.

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 06/04/2009 at 19:51 »
Jim,

so was I so I'm off to post Irvine and see what the story is - Just didn't want to get caught if the rules had been changed.

Iain

Iain Cameron

Re: Don Today - Old School!
« Reply #9 on: 07/04/2009 at 21:47 »
had shortish evening session on the Don tonight at Cruives to try out my new breathable waders...

just for a change, after watching repeats of Paul Young's Hooked on Scotland, I dug out some old wet flies -- easy to over look them in these days when we can see and source flies from anywhere and are always looking for something new and exotic. Fished a size 10 bloody butcher on point and a size 14 dunkeld on dropper -- hooked, netted, released a hard fighting sea trout of about 2lb... on the wee dunkeld, I was well happy. Hooked and released another wee trout of about 8oz on a Teal & green, and pricked a few more too.

Cracking wee session, and most satisfying for using my poor abandoned wet fly box for a change - no pics though!

cheers
iain

ps, picked up Scierra Hydrovent breathable chest waders for £80 (were 199) and a wading jacket for £50 (was £150) from Garry Evans tackle.. they've got some sizes left, so if you're looking for a bargain go google Garry!...

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 07/04/2009 at 21:53 »
Nice Sea-Trout Iain.

Teal and Green, Bejesus! that's a blast from the past. There seems to be a fair bit of sport to be had on the Don at the moment.

Iain

emerger

« Reply #11 on: 07/04/2009 at 22:19 »
I was out for a cast at upper parkhill Monday and Tues lunchtime, 9 trout in total although yesterday was more productive best at 3lbs all caught on the dry.

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 08/04/2009 at 08:08 »
Explored the upper waters for the first time in some years yesterday, hard going  :shock

Lots of changes in the water, some pools have simply 'gone' since my last visit - work needed there I think.
Plenty of stonefly and the occasional LDO around but a long day for one trout of around 1/2lb  :z15

Saw a couple of nice fish, but no joy in getting the buggers to take  :z6

Next 'assault' on the Don will probably be a smidgen lower down the river but, although frustrating, it was nice to get back to my old haunt for a day  :cool:

Hamish  :z3

garry john

« Reply #13 on: 08/04/2009 at 10:50 »
arite hamish do u fish the inverurie beats?

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 08/04/2009 at 23:34 »
Not that often I'm afraid  :cry

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com