Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Don Today
« Reply #90 on: 03/05/2009 at 22:02 »
Was out doing a bit of casting on the Don today for most of the day.  Good number of hawthorns about, from about 10AM, saw some spinners of some description and some size 14 sedges, these appeared about 1 and increased in numbers throughout the day and are the first I have seen this year.  I went back down to the river about 6 when the wind dropped for a look, there was a lot of sedges on the water, nothing moving though!

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #91 on: 03/05/2009 at 22:27 »
Shock, horror  :shock Ben its the Sabbath  :z4

:z18

Jim

j.r fartley

« Reply #92 on: 04/05/2009 at 21:31 »
i have to say the whole no fishing on a sunday malarky really grinds my gears!!! :mad

Jim Eddie

« Reply #93 on: 04/05/2009 at 21:34 »
i have to say the whole no fishing on a sunday malarky really grinds my gears!!! :mad

Me to JR , if they want the fish to have a rest day why not make it a Monday when most people are at work, you can fish the Tay and its tribuatries for trout on a Sunday and also the Clyde.

Jim

j.r fartley

« Reply #94 on: 05/05/2009 at 11:55 »
Me to JR , if they want the fish to have a rest day why not make it a Monday when most people are at work, you can fish the Tay and its tribuatries for trout on a Sunday and also the Clyde.

Jim

sundays my only day off and i cant even wet a line on the don! is it ok to hang your washing out on the sabbath?? :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #95 on: 05/05/2009 at 14:10 »
The Sunday fishing thing for trout is at the discretion of the riparian owner, it is a legal thing in Scotland with regard to migratory fish.  I have no problem with not being able to fish for salmon on a Sunday other than that the rule stems from an old Kirk ruling, I do find that rather irritating.  Sea trout is another issue, sea trout are trout and it is a pain having to stop at midnight Saturday or only be able to start at midnight Sunday.

Anyone got anything to report from the river today?

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #96 on: 10/05/2009 at 01:05 »
I fished Beat 11 at Monymusk on Wednesday Afternoon. Really cold, blustry wind and rain was keeping the fish down, with just the odd small trout taking flies off the top.

I spent quite a while walking and watching but to no avail, so found a lovely deep run where I thought i might winkle out a fish or two. On with a couple of very heavy GRHE's and spent an hour "high sticking" the flies down the run. Second put through I had a savage take but did not connect. A few "casts"..well...flips later the line flicked straight, I struck and connected with a lovely Brownie of around about a pound and a half to a pound and three quarters.

By this time the wind was getting unbearable and the rain was making life a tad miserable...I was frozen.

Suddenly the sun burst through for no more than 10 minutes and the river surface errupted with hatching flies. I have never seen anything like it. As I stood there, mid river, the spent shucks were sticking to my waders and the flies themselves were landing on me, making me look like one of those fly catcher papers.

Entimology (and spelling) are not my fortee but I am sure the flies where Grannoms..

Anyway, i eagerly swapped to a suitable dry fly and waited to see a few fish rising..nothing..not a thing!!! So on went a wet March Brown (closest I had) and a GRHE to see if they were taking subsurface..not a pull or a pluck.

The sun went, the wind remained, so I headed home about 5...cold but extremely happy.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #97 on: 10/05/2009 at 13:51 »
Good stuff Rob sounds like you had a fun day. I have heard elsewhere that the trout dont seem to take the grannom, havent seen a hatch yet so cant say personally.
Fished the local beat friday and saturday. Friday was blowing a hoolie but the fish were looking up and I finished my few hours with a best of about 1.25lb.
Saturday conditions seemed better but the fish didnt agree, no hatch to speak of, couldnt get a take, lots of rises from small fish but the big boys were not playing.
I had to come off the river about 3 with the feeling a big hatch was due at any minute.

Richard Tong

« Reply #98 on: 10/05/2009 at 21:32 »
Noel,

Last time we were on the Don there was no activity until appx 3:30pm then all of a sudden there was a hatch of Grannom and I could see 4-5 good Trout of 2-3lbs taking them off the surface. This lasted for 15 minutes and was good fun.

Down where I live (Yorkshire ) and fish regularly(Yorkshire and Cumbria) the Grannom can get taken avidly and I have witnessed them being selected on the Don before. They are finished down here now but I guess they still have 1-2 weeks to go up there.

Olive Uprights,Large Brook Duns and Iron Blues were coming off on Don when we were up. There were plenty of Hawthorns and Black Gnats too and some big Trout feeding on them.So good to see Iron Blues......the last decent hatch I witnessed was on the Water of Leith as a wean back in 1978!

Richard

tinrib

Slightly Seperate question
« Reply #99 on: 12/05/2009 at 05:49 »
Hi folks,

As a don virgin, I just wanted to get your opinion on the Castle Forbes fishing. I am back up to Scotland for a holiday (home from the UAE) and have booked up a day on their water. The thing that is worrying me is that on Fishdon.co.uk it was the ONLY fishery that had any availablity and seemed to free all month... Is it rubbish???? Why doesn't anyone else want to fish it in May???
Thanks in advance.

Sandy Nelson

Re: Slightly Seperate question
« Reply #100 on: 12/05/2009 at 08:54 »
Hi folks,

As a don virgin, I just wanted to get your opinion on the Castle Forbes fishing. I am back up to Scotland for a holiday (home from the UAE) and have booked up a day on their water. The thing that is worrying me is that on Fishdon.co.uk it was the ONLY fishery that had any availablity and seemed to free all month... Is it rubbish???? Why doesn't anyone else want to fish it in May???
Thanks in advance.

HI Tinrib

Not at all, very surprised at the availability as Castle forbes is one of the best stretches of the river, however it is probably the most expensive beat too.
Normally very hard water to get on, so i'd ask first as the fishdon site may not be quite up to date :z8

Definatley well worth fishing if you have the chance :z16

Sandy

piker

« Reply #101 on: 12/05/2009 at 12:26 »
Rob,

It that Rob as in Piking Rob ?

Regards

James

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #102 on: 14/05/2009 at 22:22 »
Rob,

It that Rob as in Piking Rob ?

Regards

James

Could well be ;)

piker

« Reply #103 on: 20/05/2009 at 08:20 »
Rob,

Sent you a PM

gibbyboy

« Reply #104 on: 20/05/2009 at 08:52 »
going to head out on saturday i think....hopefully all this rain had lifted the river and maybe brought some fish through!

anybody been on the river this week? any reported salmon catches??

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com