Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Noel kelly

Re: Don Today
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 20:14:09 PM »
Went down today at about 1 and my first sight of the river was fish rising :grin Must admit i was a tad excited setting up as i could see about 6 fish rising steadily within casting range. Think thats a first :z4 Several casts later the excitement was turning to slight something else as they were all ignoring my offerings. Quick change of flys and bang first cast :cool: Had 4 in all, over an hour or 2 ranging from 3/4lb to very decent :grin
Here is a pic of the best of the day and also a pic of what i suspect may be my first ever seatrout?

Seatrout???

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 20:36:32 PM by An Chuileog »

Jim Eddie

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 20:36:27 PM »
Hey Noel you are doing well this season  :z16 I'm never sure about sea-trout , I think Salmon have a convex tail and sea trout a concave one , or is it the other way about  :z8

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Goolager

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 20:41:55 PM »
Hi Noel,

Great sport yet again!

Second one's a Brown - is the net giving it the impression of having a distinctly forked tail?

Large Sea-Trout form a convex tail

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 20:47:18 PM »
Aye I always getting my concaves and convexes mixed up  :wink

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Noel kelly

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 20:49:32 PM »
Not sure about the tail didnt really notice at the time. What made me think it may be a seatrout is the silvery colour and that it fought like crazy. The pic doesnt really do it justice. Must start carrying my camera again but then again i carried it a lot last year and mostly photographed.....flowers and scenery.    

Goolager

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 20:51:55 PM »
That's nothing Jim, the last time I fished for Salmon on the Don I had such a short time so was in a hurry and actually put my left boot on my right foot?

silly ninny! :oops

bigtroot

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 21:37:08 PM »
What like of set up were you using Noel, rod,leader flies etc,
Cheers
Baz

Noel kelly

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 22:52:45 PM »
Hi Baz using a scott 4/5 weight built by our own Sandy :z16 A Barrio DT4 line with 6ft tapered leader and 4ft of clear mono tippet. Two dries about 2 foot apart, todays sucessfull were cdc and elk, cul de canon and an olive cdc thingy i got from a mate. I think the choice of fly is not as important as being in the right place at the right time. One thing im doing this year which might be making a difference is degreasing the leader every few casts. Out again tomorrow, whats the bets on a blank :z4
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 18:48:52 PM by An Chuileog »

Peter McCallum

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 23:06:09 PM »
Hi Baz using a scott 4/5 weight built by our own Sandy :z16 A Barrio DT4 line with 6ft tapered leader and 4ft of dreddan clear mono tippet. Two dries about 2 foot apart, todays sucessfull were cdc and elk, cul de canon and an olive cdc thingy i got from a mate. I think the choice of fly is not as important as being in the right place at the right time. One thing im doing this year which might be making a difference is degreasing the leader every few casts. Out again tomorrow, whats the bets on a blank :z4

Better not be with the secret weapons :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 23:13:02 PM »
Nice fish Noel :z16

The second one could be a Slob trout, not uncommon on the Don.
They are Brownies that decide to pop down to the estuary for a while (often during winter when the food is scarce) , where they feed on estuary food take on a lovely silver sheen and then disappear back upstream for when the flies start to hatch. They go like buggery and for my sins in the "old days" they taste beautiful :z3

Keep it up, i'll have to find a window in my ridiculous schedule :shock

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Noel kelly

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 19:15:42 PM »
Tougher day today, blue skys and an unfavourable wind. Good numbers of olives hatching with the odd MB. Only saw a few rising fish and most seemed to be one offs. Wind was causing major problems and just couldnt seem to position myself where i could cover a fish. Did a lot of prospecting in likely runs without a touch, still good fun though.
Heading back to the car i noticed what looked like a few fish moving midriver just under the surface, so once i got below them tried a cast into the activity. Was rewarded by an immediate take and after a good tussel landed this lovely fish.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 19:55:58 PM by An Chuileog »

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 19:40:52 PM »
Another cracking fish Noel ....... Well done :z16

If you have time, do you fancy uploading an 800 pix wide version of the photo in the gallery? :wink

Best wishes
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Noel kelly

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 19:53:45 PM »
Sure will Mike, having a play with it now so to practice i will try replace the one above, tried this before but they came out too big for some reason. How,s that size?

emerger

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 19:56:17 PM »
I have had a great couple of days dry fly fishing on the Don. Yesterday there was a great rise from 12-2.00pm resulting  in numerous fish, 5 over the 2lb mark best at around 3 lbs. Today conditions were not ideal, bright, sunny and breezy fortunately managed to tempt 3 best at 25 inch 5lb +. All fish were safely returned.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:10:32 AM by emerger »

bigtroot

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 20:06:30 PM »
This river looks like its filled with nice trout!
What beat are you fishing Noel and where do i get a permit  :z8
Thanks
Baz :z18

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum