Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jay Scott

What flies this month?
« on: 02/12/2006 at 20:53 »
What flies this month? what kind of flies shood i or anybody else be using this month I've asked several people and they've all given me different awnsers, zonkers & fry!, buzzers!, gold bead nymphs!,cats whisk & budgies!. please tell me what your opinion is on the matter, i don't really know i just look to see what other people are using  :z4

Cheers, Jay

Sandy Nelson

What flies this month?
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2006 at 21:17 »
Depends where your fishing.

Haddo is heaving with buzzers and bloodworms, so either would be great.
there are also lots of corixa around the margins still, so small hares ears and spiders will be good too.Damsels are always present so anything that wiggles will work.
All depends how you prefer to fish. :wink:

Sandy

Jay Scott

What flies this month?
« Reply #2 on: 02/12/2006 at 21:20 »
Ok, i'm off to Haddo so I'll give them a try, i read on a web site that november is the month of fry is that true shood i try the zonkers and what not?

Jay

Sandy Nelson

What flies this month?
« Reply #3 on: 02/12/2006 at 21:31 »
Jay

In a water that contains fry then Yes.
problem is up here few trout waters have  large head of coarse fish, so there is not much in the way of fry there for the trout to eat.
Pitfour has some perch in it so there will be perch fry, but the trout fry are on the go during the summer(coarse fish fry are late autumn ,early winter), The rest of the waters dont have Fry like the large English Resevoirs. Unfortunatley a lot of the info you read is about larger English waters as regards tackle and the fly patterns.
This part of the world has quite different food for the trout to eat, so the trick is to learn our local waters and their insect life, and take it from there.

damsels and buzzers are universal for most waters so are always a good bet.

Sandy

Jay Scott

What flies this month?
« Reply #4 on: 02/12/2006 at 21:33 »
Great, i'll give them a try and see what else has been catching thanks for the help Sandy.

Jay

Mike Barrio

What flies this month?
« Reply #5 on: 03/12/2006 at 00:44 »
Hi Jay

Lots of sound advice from Sandy  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Derek 365

What flies this month?
« Reply #6 on: 03/12/2006 at 18:04 »
I've noticed by watching other anglers that during the colder months a super,super slow retrieve is best and generally to forget the most published theory of sinking lines and lures in the winter because floaters and nymphs worked very slowly really works.

Jay Scott

What flies this month?
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/2006 at 19:02 »
Well I was out today and had some luck, 5 rainbows at Haddo, they were on the budgie and thats what i caught my last 5 fish on the week before, a "tweeking" retreive changing from fast to slow. But i can't feel my fingers.  :z4

Jay

Mike Barrio

What flies this month?
« Reply #8 on: 03/12/2006 at 19:47 »
Quote from: "Derek 365"
I've noticed by watching other anglers that during the colder months a super,super slow retrieve is best and generally to forget the most published theory of sinking lines and lures in the winter because floaters and nymphs worked very slowly really works.

Hi Derek
Welcome to the forum  :z16

Yes, good tips ......... those are the best tactics at Haddo at the moment  :wink:

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

What flies this month?
« Reply #9 on: 03/12/2006 at 19:49 »
Yeh

hi Derek

Sounds good to me too, if a bit cold :z6

Jay

How do you get the budgie to stay still while you impale it on hook? :shock:

Mind you tweeking the budgie does sound like fun  :grin:

Sandy :lol:

Jay Scott

What flies this month?
« Reply #10 on: 03/12/2006 at 21:06 »
Aye, it was a bit of a struggle  :lol: i tried my spiders to begin with but i think they were a bit too deep down unfortunately, it would have been nice to catch a fish with one of my flies.

Jay

Jim Eddie

Flies
« Reply #11 on: 03/12/2006 at 21:14 »
Sandy

Maybe you should lend Jay one of your Budgies, the Paraffin kind  :grin:

Joking aside , and apart from the good advice you have been given already , I think getting the depth right in winter is more important than fly choice, the fish will not chase or follow a fly the same way they will in the warmer months.

:z18

Jim

What flies this month?
« Reply #12 on: 04/12/2006 at 17:10 »
hi jay,

cats whisker and the like are pretty reliable all over at the moment.
but... i was out on sunday in the wind, and found success (8) with the simplest damsel ever. easy to tie.

size 10/12/or 8
olive thread
half a pinch of olive marabou tied in at the bend as a tail but max length 1cm. dont cut the excess off!
few turns of lead underbody optional.
wind the marabou round the hook as the body. twist it first makes it easier.
tie off at the head and add optional turn of olive hackle.

can also whip finish with red thread for extra attantion drawing powers.

i dont use any other damsels.

good luck

Colin

What flies this month?
« Reply #13 on: 30/12/2006 at 12:49 »
quick update as per the xmas present testing outing :lol:

WHITE anything and everything white fished deep and slow with the floating line though (long leader and wait for it... still no indicators!) i tried lures (white rabbit) and white buzzers and also tied a white nymph in the style of PTN same shape. (pheasant tail nymph).

ps can someone tell what WWS or WSW stands for cant find it now to get the letters in the right order. seems popular but dont know what it is or how to tie, maybe you know Sandy? anyone?

Colin.

Derek 365

What flies this month?
« Reply #14 on: 30/12/2006 at 13:11 »
Hi Colin,
            i believe that WSW stands for Walter Seniors Weapon/Walter Secret Weapon and it's simpily a wooly bugger type fly with a long marabou,seal furs body and a body hackle of grade 1 cock hackle with black and olive versions seam to be the most popular colours but the possiblites are as usually endless

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com