Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

slippy

Co-polymer Vs Fluoro ?.
« on: 02/04/2009 at 18:04 »

Hi all, and given the recent tragedy, I hope all of you and yours are well and good.

Has anyone used Co-poly as tippet material?. The reason I ask is because I often find ( on calm days like today on a small stillwater ) Fluorocarban tippet can sink a small dry fly, even when using 3ib bs. I like fluoro because of the clarity underwater and small diameter, but have never tried co-poly.

Advice welcome as ever.

Regards, derek

Irvine Ross

Re: Co-polymer Vs Fluoro ?.
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/2009 at 18:53 »
Derek

I never use anything but co-polymer, haven't for years. When I tried fluorocarbon in small diameters the problem I found was, no matter how much fullers earth gunk I rubbed on it, the tippet kept floating. Maybe it was just the brand I tried :z8
Also I'm happier knowing that any co-polymer I leave hanging in a tree or snagged to the bottom will degrade. Fluorocarbon persists for years.

Cheers

Irvine

slippy

« Reply #2 on: 02/04/2009 at 20:44 »

Cheers for that Irvine,, I never knew about the degradation issue. I always find the stuff I use (riverge grand max ) sinks well with a wipe with fairy liquid,, too well with small dries hence the query. I'm glad you have enlightened me .

derek

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 02/04/2009 at 20:47 »
If you are only fishing a single fry you can always use 12ft co-poly and 3ft of flurocarbon, the fluro wont sink the dry and will hide the line perfectly  :z16

slippy

« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2009 at 21:10 »

yeah Bigtroot.  Usual setup is 9ft mono tapered leader and around 6/8ft fluoro, so use 12ft taper and shorten tippet?. good stuff.
             Cheers my man  :z16

j.r fartley

« Reply #5 on: 02/04/2009 at 23:13 »
is one not better for dry and the other wet? :?

slippy

« Reply #6 on: 03/04/2009 at 08:03 »
is one not better for dry and the other wet? :?

Hi J.R.  Dunno really :? I use fluoro for all my fishing and it usually sits an inch or so under the surface with dries until I get down to 16s/18s. Sometimes takes another angler to point out the obvious thing to do though  :grin

:z18 derek.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com