Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

gibbyboy

fly choice
« on: 02/04/2009 at 14:32 »
Quite like finding out about folks choices when it come tos fly selection...sooo..out of interest...

what flies has everyone been using on the don so far this season??

or does anyone have any favourite patters/colours etc for different times??

cheers

g

Jim Eddie

Re: fly choice
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/2009 at 18:40 »
Not been out on the Don yet , but I would suggest March Brown + March Brown Spider, Greenwells .

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 02/04/2009 at 19:23 »
Most of the rising fish that I caught last year were on an olive paradun. Otherwise a black spider or a black pennel. That doesnt amount to a lot of fish thinking about it. :cry

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 02/04/2009 at 20:05 »
Gibbyboy,

I'm sure you'll get a variety of patterns depending on what you want to imitate and at what stage but if I had to pick one fly to fish at any time at any depth I'd go for a PTN, lightly to heavily dressed/ weighted depending on the water and fishing method.

Czech nymphed caddis larvae, across and down spiders & wets, upstream spiders & nymphs, streamers, dries, etc. etc. the possibilities are wide - off the top of my head here is my armoury;

Black & Olive & Brown Klinks
Black & Olive & Brown 'F' Flies
Black & Olive & Brown Paraduns/ comparaduns
Black foam beetles
Greenwells spiders
Black spiders
Waterhen Bloa
Snipe & Purple
PTN
Olive nymph
GRHE

I haven't fished winged wet flies for many a while but try the Greenwells Glory, March Brown, Invicta for starters.

Streamer info. can be sourced from Ben D. - again I don't fish them (no reason really) but they are effective, just ask the Salmon anglers how much decent Brownies are taken on large gaudy flies.

I hope this helps
Also look up Sandys' 'Trout Flies' on the Home Page which gives you a comprehensive list of patterns and more importantly the time of year at which to use them.

Never stop experimenting though and you'll soon have a box with your favourites.

Did you make it out on the Urie?
Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2009 at 23:17 »
All my trout so far have come to GH GRHE nymphs with either tungsten beads or with split shot on the leader, I have not yet cast to a rising fish despite having been on the water during some reasonable hatches but, the water I have been fishing is quite deep and full of weed and it is still early.

When searching I will use (depending upon water type & conditions).....

Big Black Klink with small mirage rib, tied on #12 or #14 partridge hook, this can be deadly and as obnoxious as the fly is it has got me some really nice trout from nowhere  :grin

the above fished with a suitable nymph tied to the bend

Team of three spiders, usually selected from the following....  Hare & Partridge, Hare & Plover, Waterhen Bloa, Partrige & Orange, Black spider, pearl spider.  I often fish a nymph on the point and two spiders above it.

Most of my dries are parachute or Klinkhamer dressings, quite simple or DHEs and I have terrestrial patterns such as foam beetles in my box too

When fishing streamers I usually go for something at least 1.5" in length fished fast on a fast sinking line and always carry the following.....
Zoo Cougars in olive & yellow
Yellow Butt Monkeys
Olly Edwards Sculpins, range of sizes
Snappy Poodles in vaious colours & sizes
Wooly Buggers in various colours including beaded & tungsten coned versions
Madonnas in yellow, olive, black & tan.

I could be here all day, I have too many fly boxes  :grin

If I have any luck tomorrow I will post a list of what was working

Cheers

Ben

j.r fartley

« Reply #5 on: 02/04/2009 at 23:31 »
All my trout so far have come to GH GRHE nymphs with either tungsten beads or with split shot on the leader, I have not yet cast to a rising fish despite having been on the water during some reasonable hatches but, the water I have been fishing is quite deep and full of weed and it is still early.

When searching I will use (depending upon water type & conditions).....

Big Black Klink with small mirage rib, tied on #12 or #14 partridge hook, this can be deadly and as obnoxious as the fly is it has got me some really nice trout from nowhere  :grin

the above fished with a suitable nymph tied to the bend

Team of three spiders, usually selected from the following....  Hare & Partridge, Hare & Plover, Waterhen Bloa, Partrige & Orange, Black spider, pearl spider.  I often fish a nymph on the point and two spiders above it.

Most of my dries are parachute or Klinkhamer dressings, quite simple or DHEs and I have terrestrial patterns such as foam beetles in my box too

When fishing streamers I usually go for something at least 1.5" in length fished fast on a fast sinking line and always carry the following.....
Zoo Cougars in olive & yellow
Yellow Butt Monkeys
Olly Edwards Sculpins, range of sizes
Snappy Poodles in vaious colours & sizes
Wooly Buggers in various colours including beaded & tungsten coned versions
Madonnas in yellow, olive, black & tan.

I could be here all day, I have too many fly boxes  :grin

If I have any luck tomorrow I will post a list of what was working

Cheers

Ben

fishing a klink with a nymph on the bend  :cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com