Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Duncan McRae

Start of Brown Trout season
« on: 01/04/2009 at 16:04 »
Hi Folks

Today is the start of the Brown trout season on most Don beats.
Personally i feel that this is too early.

Given the widespread view that Brown trout and Sea trout are the same species,can it be right that Sea trout kelts are legally protected at this time of year while the poor old Brownie can be knocked on the head?
Surely,at this time of year, mature Brown trout must be regarded as kelts since they spawn along with the sea trout.

I feel that May 1st is early enough for  Brown trout fishing to commence.
At the very least, total catch and release should be practiced during April.

What does everyone else think?

Duncan

Richard Tong

Re: Start of Brown Trout season
« Reply #1 on: 01/04/2009 at 16:19 »
Hi Duncan,

I have personally never caught a Brown Trout in April off the Don that looks like it is still out of condition from spawning,or looking lean and lank. I am not saying that some may be a wee bit under weight but put this down to less food generally being available through the Winter months. all that we have caught have been fighting fit and in superb condition.

April can be fantastic fishing on the Don and, given the right conditions, see some large Trout feeding at the surface with a good chance if you are careful of getting one of these beauties,

Richard

slippy

« Reply #2 on: 01/04/2009 at 16:40 »

Hi Duncan. :z18
  I agree with Richard on this. Most of my river brown fishing is done in Cumbria and the season there can be as early as March 15th.
  I find the fish fighting fit, superb condition, and from a personal point would get cabin fever if I had to wait another month  :grin.
  Also it's nice to get on the lakes before the maggot boys get there in june, gives us a chance to fish pristine lakes with no rubbish left around.
  You may have a good point with C/R but I have seen more fish killed by bad C/R practice that I ever show the priest.

Good post and will be interesting replies.

Regards, derek.   :z16

Richard Tong

« Reply #3 on: 01/04/2009 at 16:59 »
Hey Derek,

I do quite a bit myself on the Eden at Kirkby Stephen,sometimes by myself,sometimes with a mate....where do you fish in Cumbria?

Richard

j.r fartley

« Reply #4 on: 01/04/2009 at 17:07 »
hi duncan, i dont feel april 1st is to early, but i certainly wont be knocking any trout on the head,tbh i dont think i could wait any longer!!! il be out on the don on monday evening for the first time this year and i cant wait! :z18

slippy

« Reply #5 on: 01/04/2009 at 17:39 »
Hi Richard.

Have fished Kirkby Stephen a fair few times, now fish anywhere I can get a day ticket  :grin or get a guest from mates.
   Gave up my penrith anglers membership last year as was not getting there enough.
    Still got a 12ft open sea hog on Ullswater though. Have a static caravan in a village called Kings Meaburn on the Lyvvenet.
    Have a look at *Go wild in Cumbria* lots of d/t beats of the Eden and other rivers on there.
    Ever you fancy a day afloat for the wildies in Ullswater let me know,  :z16 2lb is a good fish out of there but have seen 4lb ers come out.

Cheers derek. :z16

Also on the quiet, 'looks round', try Kentmere near Staveley,,. Was a split water. 4 acres stocked bows with resident browns with a small netted channel to 18 acres wild browns. The place has just been sold and is no longer stocked, lightly fished, and my best brown to date is just over 7lbs.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com