Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Tong

PC shy Mate going to the Don
« on: 01/04/2009 at 15:35 »
I have a mate(Briggsy) who cannot work a PC for the life of himself. He is a self employed Builder and is quiet for work tomorrow and Friday so is thinking of hot-footing it up there from near Huddersfield Thu/Fri/Sat. It is a long way to go if conditions are difficult and I suspect that there may be some snow melt from the Headwaters (Lecht area?). Can anyone confirm this-I have looked at fish Don and I can see that at Brig of Alford it is 1'3" and falling and I can tell from my diary that we fished above here last year on a stretch that Hamish mentioned and it was 12" so it may be okay for him if he fishes Strathdon tomorrow and then drops lower down on Friday and Saturday.

I have told him to register on this site but really he is clueless and he admits it when down to computers!

Has anyone seen any significant hatches of March Browns or LDO's yet? Good luck to you guys who venture out in the next few days,leave some for us! I am off to Lake District with family for a week but after that will be plotting and scheming. Only managed 5 days and one evening last year as snow melt(again!) delayed our first trip till early May so hope to improve on that this year,

Richard

Jay Scott

Re: PC shy Mate going to the Don
« Reply #1 on: 01/04/2009 at 15:42 »

Hi Richard,

Was down on the Inverurie stretch today but conditions are a lot different from the bright sun and heat we had yesterday. Was a few March Browns coming off the water but in no great numbers, only saw two rises  :z10. Was a good day for the salmon though a couple splashing about, kelts though. Was told pressure was low and the fish would be holding down slightly but tried most tactics.

Jay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 01/04/2009 at 17:16 »
Was out from 11 til about 3. Lovely weather conditions, warm, overcast and just the gentlest breeze. Steady trickle of mb,s and only saw 3 risers. Two of these were steady risers and i got both :grin
First one was a nice fat 3/4lber but the next one was a beauty of 24 inches. Was fun on a 3lb tippet and no landing net :z4
Glad to say all ended well and i got a few quick snaps before putting him back where he belongs.
Wont say where i was fishing but it was below Inverurie.
Sorry about the poor pic, only had my mobile.

Jay Scott

« Reply #3 on: 01/04/2009 at 18:04 »

Looks like you had more luck than me then  :z4.Did you see lot of insect hatches?

Jay

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 01/04/2009 at 18:46 »
Thats a bonnie fish well done Noel  :z16

:z18

Jim

Richard Tong

« Reply #5 on: 01/04/2009 at 18:53 »
Noel....well done,at 24 ins if you measured it accurately it would go over 4lbs,possibly 5lb. Looks well fed...another example of how fit these fish are early on. Caught on a March Brown?

Richard

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 01/04/2009 at 19:06 »
Thanks Jim. Richard i measured it carefully against the rod, and when got home put the tape against the rod. Didnt want to mess about with it much as it was a long fight with the light tippet and no landing net. It took a size 14 cul de canon. I would put it about the 5lb mark but thats only a guess.   

slippy

« Reply #7 on: 01/04/2009 at 19:25 »

24ins and a good girth, looks an easy 5lb. Cracking fish.  :z16
  I dont like to pry but am always willing to make exceptions  :z4 which bush exactly did it come frome under?  :z4  :z4.
   That is a good fish.

Regards derek

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 01/04/2009 at 21:14 »
Was out from 11 til about 3. Lovely weather conditions, warm, overcast and just the gentlest breeze. Steady trickle of mb,s and only saw 3 risers. Two of these were steady risers and i got both :grin
First one was a nice fat 3/4lber but the next one was a beauty of 24 inches. Was fun on a 3lb tippet and no landing net :z4
Glad to say all ended well and i got a few quick snaps before putting him back where he belongs.
Wont say where i was fishing but it was below Inverurie.
Sorry about the poor pic, only had my mobile.

Cracking trout Noel ....... Well done that man! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 02/04/2009 at 11:31 »
About bloody time too :z4 :z4 :z4

Nice one :wink

Sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #10 on: 02/04/2009 at 17:05 »
Normal service resumed today, fished Fetternear for the first time, only saw a few fly on the water and not a single rise. Beautifull stretch of fly water though and top marks for the owner (or his brother) who drove me the length of the beat and explained the pools and best areas to me. Would recommend it to anyone, few long canal like stretches but most of it is perfect water. Being able to cast L/H would help as its all left bank and pretty deep for wading.
Now where to go tomorrow, any suggestions? Im thinking strathdon direction if i can get my damn car back :mad

paavo

« Reply #11 on: 02/04/2009 at 18:43 »
Wow! Really nice trout, 61cm.  :z16

//Harri

turracoo

« Reply #12 on: 07/04/2009 at 12:31 »
hi guys
         Out yesterday on the don between 1130-1400hrs at upper parkhill the conditions were overcast but quite a cold wind however there was a massive hatch of LDO,s i mean hundreds of them every where the fish were going crazy for them ended up with 5 brown trout and a sea trout about 2lb all on the dry fly.and missed the same but great sport anyway.good to see hatches of fly,s like this long may it continue :grin :grin

Cheers
chris

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 07/04/2009 at 15:01 »
Ok i have heard to much about brown trout now, where do i buy a ticket  :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 07/04/2009 at 20:09 »
Noel,
for some reason I've just noticed your post - cracking fish, great start to the season. :z16

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com