Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

slippy

The *take* or the fish ?.
« on: 31/03/2009 at 17:34 »

I'm often asked by non anglers what it is about fishing that hooks me and I always say the take of a fish, but can never decide what take.
For me the take is all. I love to see a good trout in the net and am p*****d off if I lose a fish but always think it's still there for another day
but the buzz for me is the take. So, out of all the differing takes, what is your favourite, ie, that slow pull on the leader? the slashing take of a hungry 'bow? that ever so slow roll over a dry?.

I can't decide, so am interested in your views.

regards, derek  :?

Barry Robertson

Re: The *take* or the fish ?.
« Reply #1 on: 31/03/2009 at 18:07 »
The best take is obviously a dry when they realise they have been fooled and dive for cover!
But i also love the take that can only be seen and not felt, the ones you have to strike into when fishing buzzers into th breeze!  :wink
  :z18

paavo

« Reply #2 on: 31/03/2009 at 18:45 »
Hi Derek

The magic movement is when a decent fish goes up to surface and either takes a caddis with speed or olives gentle. Now its up to me….

//Harri

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 31/03/2009 at 19:02 »
Good Post Derek  :z16

I think you are correct its the take that does it for a lot of anglers ,whether it is a savage take , as Baz mentioned a fish sipping into a dry and turning down or a gentle take on a nyphm .Not sure if I have a favourite I enjoy them all , casting to a rising fish and hooking it is good though.
I have heard of guys cutting the hook at the bend so they get the pleasure of the take without ever hooking a fish.

:z18

Jim 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 31/03/2009 at 19:55 »
Losing fish is part of the game and I have no issue with lost fish although I do at least like to see the blighter so that I can see the size and species of the fish as well as seeing which fly it took.

The take for me is the whole point of fishing, yes the thrill of a rising fish followed by the often vicious run is great as are the tippety tapps, arm jolting tugs, sudden stops and light tightenings to name but a few.

I think I said in a previous post a while back that the offer that comes on a cold, or dour day when the heart is slightly sinking is the most welcome whatever form it takes.

me

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 31/03/2009 at 21:15 »
I love it when you are watching your dry and all of a sudden a nose comes out the water and the fish roles over where your fly was...you wait a second or two and then lift.

The other take that really get the heart thumping is when you are stripping back a surface popper and 15 yards away the water starts to "get nervous". Suddenly a bow wave makes a charge at your fly and slashes, open mouthed, sending up spray and weed. The fact this often happens feet from your rod tip makes it all the more exciting!!...and that the fish has teeth!!

garry john

« Reply #6 on: 01/04/2009 at 06:50 »
exactly same as bigtroot. its awesome watching them take the dry :z16 :cool:

slippy

« Reply #7 on: 01/04/2009 at 09:22 »
Yeah ,,,, each and every one is different but leaves you with the same heart in the mouth feeling.  :z16   
Great replies lads, must show this to some of my non-fishing mates.

I have heard of guys cutting the hook at the bend so they get the pleasure of the take without ever hooking a fish.
Have done that on occasion myself Jim :oops Great fun and no pricked fish  :grin. Done it in a flat calm with a goddard sedge on an intermediate line, no line wake, just a big bow wave then lift off as you see the nose break the surface. Drives them wild and I believe sets them up for the same tactics for the future.

:z18 for the replies fellas, nice to know I'm not the only one  :grin

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com