Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Correct orientation in a rod bag
« on: 29/03/2009 at 21:46 »
Saw this question on another forum and it got me thinking , whats the best way to store your rod in the rod bag ?
I have always stored them with the thickest part at the bottom of the bag , others suggest the reverse and some thickest section down apart from the butt section wich is handle up

How do you guys do it ?

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

Re: Correct orientation in a rod bag
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2009 at 22:11 »
I stick the but into the bag first then the rest the same way  :z6
Then it goes in a tube so dont see what difference it would make  :z8

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 30/03/2009 at 08:42 »
A bag????

:wink

I dont think it matters at all. I know the theory was that in days gone by folk would hang up there cane rods (to stop them taking on a set leaning against the wall) by a loop in the rod bag and that the butt should face down the way so if the loop broke the rod would land on the strongest part of the rod. But with modern rods thats not an issue anymore.

slippy

« Reply #3 on: 31/03/2009 at 17:49 »

First fished with an old Farlowes greenhart rod that had a crochet hook at the tip because of bad storage but don't matter much these days really.
Me, I'm habitual and always put butt to top of bag and second section fat side down, dunno why, just always have.  :z18

« Reply #4 on: 18/04/2009 at 11:12 »
I also tend to store my rods in a bag with the thickest part of each section facing downwards, and then place the bag in its tube
its just the way i have always done it.
Although when you think about it if both ends of your rod tube are padded it will make no difference which end goes in first

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com