Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

breathable chest waders!!
« on: 30/11/2006 at 22:30 »
hello again, slightly less controversial this time fishers and fishettes, as we all know christmas is coming and its the time when most of us get some new toy or replace a vital bit of kit.

this year for me its waders, i need comfortable for walking miles but not too warm, i need warm for standing in cold rivers. a classic conundrum. :sad:

recommendations so far are centering on breathables with stocking feet and seperate wading boots/shoes.

any one use these :?: are they worth it :!:  :?:

and will i be able to use them for everything :?: walking, wading, float tube, boat :?:

not concerned about looking good just looking for a good investment!

Colin.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #1 on: 30/11/2006 at 23:58 »
Hi Colin

Tricky one, I do know a few folk that use breathables, but most appear to be using neoprenes.

There is one thing that all waders bought in 2006 appear to have in common ......... most of them have leaked  :shock:
I don't know why, but it does seem to have been a bad year for waders leaking .......... it has been happening with lots of brands and not just the cheap ones either  :cry:

I think Sandy might have a good answer to your question ....... if I remember correctly, I think his waders are neoprenes with breathable upper half?

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 01/12/2006 at 07:16 »
Colin

I use the wychwood all season waders, which are neoprene to the waist and then breathable tops, its a great idea which keeps the legs warm yet allows you better movement.
They are tall enough for the tube and with the bottoms being neoprene, you dont get as cold in the water.But you can still walk for miles with no hassle.
They are also 2 years old now and so far no problems with the waders.
The wychwood boots i got with them though were not that great and the soles destroyed themselves in about 6 months.
I would reccomend either Korkers Wading boots or Simms to go with the Waders as they are far better.IMHO

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2006 at 09:01 »
I also have the wychwood waders. I think they are pretty good, although I seem to be getting a wet crotch just now...but they are 3 years old. Think its just a seam going.

Looking at the Rapala Pro Wear breathables..getting good reports from the pike chaps regarding there durability.

wildfisher

« Reply #4 on: 01/12/2006 at 09:50 »
Rapala  waders? Are these the ones with  three sets of legs or two? The diving lip on the chest must be handy for balancing your flask on. :grin:

OK, more seriously – I like the sound of these hybrid neoprene / breathables.  Are they expensive?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 01/12/2006 at 10:00 »
Fred

Not really, compared to a lot of the breathable stuff.
I think there are others on the market too (loop perhaps?)
I like them though, they're pretty versatile.

Sandy

Jim Eddie

Waders
« Reply #6 on: 01/12/2006 at 10:30 »
Unless cash is a real issue , I would get a pair of both. Mullarkeys are doing 4mm boot foot  neoprenes for £39.99. If you get a couple of seasons out of those its great value for money.

I have had Scierra Aquatex breathables for a couple of seasons now with no problems. You can pick those up for around the £99 mark also some good deals that throw in a pair of boots.

:z18

Jim

« Reply #7 on: 01/12/2006 at 22:59 »
thanks guys, most intrigued by the hybrid idea, sounds exactly what im looking for! heading to the Glasgow Angling Centre tomorrow to ask Davy and hopefully buy some.

ps. recommended this site to all the guys i fish with so look out for more ayrshire boys!

thanks again

Colin.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 04/12/2006 at 08:50 »
I think the Wychwoods cost me £99 and that was with free boots, although I upgraded to Scierra ones for an extra tenner.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 04/12/2006 at 13:10 »
Ooops..not £99..£79..from Somers..

Here is a link to see the specs.. http://www.troutfishing.co.uk/ishop/243/shopscr2442.html

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com