Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jay Scott

Fly patterns
« Reply #15 on: 01/12/2006 at 18:58 »
Aye, that sounds great, probably be getting tying kit to top up on everything i don't have as a christmas present, if not I'll wait untill i've got enough money to do it myself, you know what they say " Christmas is a time of giving and taking", i know which part i like most. :z4 Veniard's Connoisseur Fly Tying Kit looks nice ( the older one with wooden box ) anyone got any feedback? Oh, one last question, what size of uni thread should i be using for tying my trout flies, 6/0 or 8/0?

Cheers, Jay

Sandy Nelson

Fly patterns
« Reply #16 on: 01/12/2006 at 19:37 »
Jay

i only use 8/0 unithread. 6/0 for huge flies only.

I would say by the stuff you already have, i wouldn't bother with a kit, just fill in the blanks in the one you have.

Sandy

Jay Scott

Fly patterns
« Reply #17 on: 01/12/2006 at 19:40 »
Ok, i'm on the glasgow angling centre just now filling my cart, i don't normally like shopping but for thos i think i can make an exeption, Sandy or anyone, what kind of vice do you use? mine is a little bit worse for wear.

Cheers, Jay

Sandy Nelson

Fly patterns
« Reply #18 on: 01/12/2006 at 19:56 »
Jay

I tend not to use GAC as the stuff takes to long to arrive and they often dont have what i want.
Use Celtic fly craft for service or Lakeland.

that aside i use a snowbee flymate vice, its brilliant and has now lasted 7 years and probably several thousand flies, looks a bit tired now but the jaws are perfect.
I couldn't reccomend it enough and its only about £30

Sandy

Hamish Young

Fly patterns
« Reply #19 on: 01/12/2006 at 19:59 »
I'll second the motion  - Snowbee vice is very good indeed. You might almost say in use it's viceless........  :z4

OK - I'll get my jacket  :lol:

Jay Scott

Fly patterns
« Reply #20 on: 01/12/2006 at 20:23 »
Wow! looks a lot more proffesional than the vice i have at the moment and for 30 quid thats a bargain. I've had a look at celtic fly craft but they don't seem to have  such a large range of materials, fast mail tackle seems to be a good site, with good prices as well. I've started tying a couple flies that have been reccomended like the black spider, black and peacock spider ect.. simple patterns but they sure are fun to do.  :cool:

Cheers, Jay

Mike Barrio

Fly patterns
« Reply #21 on: 01/12/2006 at 21:36 »
Hi Jay

We can have a look through my magic "pile of stuff" when you are over ........ I'm bound to have a few spare bits & pieces  :wink:

Best wishes
Mike
 :z2

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com