Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Magnus Angus

Re: Loch Arklet campaign
« Reply #15 on: 19/03/2009 at 12:28 »
Hi Irvine

http://www.scottishforestalliance.org.uk/default.asp?page=TheGreatTrossachsForest

The organization behind the Great Trossachs Forest say:

The whole area would be managed with people in mind – for the enjoyment of visitors and local people, to benefit local communities aesthetically, socially and economically and to become a focus of the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park.

The opposition to the Arklet development is led by a group of local people who feel sufficiently motivated to resist - because they like the place the way it is now, the way it looks now. To my mind there's something amiss when the project is intended to have 'people in mind' and enhance their place - and the local folk are saying 'Hang about it looks pretty damned spectacular the way it is now. Please don't dick with it.' and their voice is completely lost, drowned by the quangos driving the project.

Magnus

Sky

« Reply #16 on: 19/03/2009 at 14:29 »
Not just the local folk... If I had just one day's fishing left in me I'd spend it at Arklet... not because the fishing is so great there... but because the landscape is so different - Irvine's obviously been running around all the parts of the UK I get to visit 'bringing back to life' the impoverished landscapes until this is the only one left :z4 :z4 :z4

As this is ff site some fish pron... my friend Jim caught this at the end of the day to save a blank for him...

... He was delighted at the fish... I couldn't believe how stunning the sunset was... 400+ miles for me each way and I'd walk it barefoot and over broken glass to see the place left as it is.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #17 on: 19/03/2009 at 15:12 »
Magnus

Is their voice completely lost?

I don't know what stage the proposals have reached. Have the decisions been made or is the consultation process still open? The local people appear to be putting up a commendable campaign with their web site and petition. The ground is publicly owned so if they get the local authority councillors and MSPs on their side they will have a strong influence.

That's democracy in action. It isn't perfect but it's the least bad option.

Irvine

PS The RSPB and the Scottish Woodland Trust aren't quangos, they are charities funded by donation. Write to them, especially if you are a member.

PPS   Sky I appreciate the strength of your feeling but I guess you might also like the scenery at Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin in Glen Affric or Loch an Eilein near Aviemore.

Sky

« Reply #18 on: 19/03/2009 at 15:27 »
PPS   Sky I appreciate the strength of your feeling but I guess you might also like the scenery at Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin in Glen Affric or Loch an Eilein near Aviemore.

Yep... but if those lochs landscapes came under threat I have carefully calculated that walking from London the extra miles north barefoot and across broken glass would see me dead from bloodloss... so I need to try save Arklet first :wink

Magnus Angus

« Reply #19 on: 19/03/2009 at 17:02 »
Hi Irvine

http://www.stirlingobserver.co.uk/stirling-news/local-news-stirling/local-news-trossachs-teith/2008/12/26/apology-for-loch-arklet-dig-error-51226-22546193/

Not completely lost but small groups with sane sensible positions and protests deserve to be heard and if my vote on a petition helps one iota I'm more than happy to give it. Given what has already happened it certainly can't hurt if the debate is alive and being heard.

Sorry about the image size - I feel like Im shouting - don't know how to reduce it (Mike if you could help..)

Irvine Ross

« Reply #20 on: 19/03/2009 at 17:27 »
Magnus/Sky

I salute your indefatigibility :z16

I see in the linked article that the local FC man says consultation with the local community are continuing so all is not yet lost. If there are a host of MSPs lobbying Roseanna Cunningham and she in turn leans on the head of FCS then some accommodation will be reached.

Irvine

Barry Robertson

« Reply #21 on: 19/03/2009 at 17:32 »
Cant believe a thread on trees and bushes gets so much attention on a fishing forum, if only the other threads got as much attention  :z6
I will get my coat  :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #22 on: 19/03/2009 at 17:49 »
Cant believe a thread on trees and bushes gets so much attention on a fishing forum, if only the other threads got as much attention  :z6
I will get my coat  :wink

Bit more than that Baz, these things have a larger importance as I'm sure you know  :z7

Now put on your coat and go have a look at Arklet  :grin

Jim Eddie

« Reply #23 on: 19/03/2009 at 17:59 »
Come on Baz , you are getting grouchy sruck out on that rig  :wink

:z18

Jim

Irvine Ross

« Reply #24 on: 19/03/2009 at 19:04 »
Hey Baz

This is all about a loch with wild brown trout. Is anything more important :wink

Hope you get off that rig soon :z18

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #25 on: 20/03/2009 at 08:51 »
but small groups with sane sensible positions and protests deserve to be heard and if my vote on a petition helps one iota I'm more than happy to give it

Trump golf course anyone?? Was a different story then  :wink

I think it is a known fact that by planting broadleaf trees along tracts of water improve the fertility of the land, reduce acid rain and introduce more wildlife and insects and improve water quality.

I do think it is a spectacular landscape, but its pretty damn barren...

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com