Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

I've got the Blues!
« on: 15/03/2009 at 23:43 »
Two infact...my first ones ever! Both overwintered with full tails and stunning looks..very impressed by them. Seemed to like going airbourne. One around the 1.5lb mark, the other about 3lb, one on an epoxy buzzer, the bigger fish on a Klinkhammer   :z16

Managed a couple of hours on Saturday and a couple today on Midmar (sorry Mike, if i had had more notice I would have been up at Haddo!)  Saturday was a nightmare for wind. I only took my ZG 5 weight with me, matched to one of Mikes lines. It performed remarkably well in the wind :) Mikes lines seem much thinner than other 5 weights i have and seemed to cut through the wind better than an Airflo Forty+.

Today was no where near as windy and for about 30 minutes around lunchtime, almost flat calm. Managed 11 fish in 2 hours with 4 of them comming to Klinkhammers. Must have bumped around 15 fish due to being well out of practice! However, the last hour the wind picked up again so I had to resort to my heavy gear, a 7 weight Bloke XL50 and a Partridge Payload line to cast into the wind. (I never do things easy and like to fish into the teeth of the wind).

Many of the fish took within 10 yards from the bank :) I love that :) I had my first ever fish take me to the backing and then some!!! When I finally got it to the net I found the Klink nicked into the very top lobe of its tail. The fish was around the 6 pound mark and did not like being hooked in the tail. :shock

One last thing, I took a Bow of about 4 pounds that was practically black. It reminded me of Chum Salmon in spawning colours...a bit like this..

Any ideas?? Spawning colours, disease, stressed???

Mike Barrio

Re: I've got the Blues!
« Reply #1 on: 16/03/2009 at 00:29 »
Hi Rob :cool:
Good to see you enjoyed your outings, well done with the blues :z16

We get dark fish in small stillwaters sometimes, perhaps fish that have been bottom feeding for a while, maybe it was one of these? I don't think there is anything wrong with them, as I've not found a dead one :z3

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: I've got the Blues!
« Reply #2 on: 16/03/2009 at 18:44 »
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply. Its been a long while since I have gone Trout fishing. It was a pleasent diversion :) Will give Haddo a try very soon..I want to try out my 10 foot 4 weight :)

As for the Black fish, it fort just as hard as the others and swam away very strongly.

Thanks again.

PS. Do you still have Charr stocked? Thats next on my6 hit list :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com