Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: fave fly, and indicator in one!
« Reply #15 on: 30/11/2006 at 09:04 »
I do the same thing  :wink:  but I've also tried the "New Zealand" method of tying off the buzzer/nymph off the bend of the dry fly - interesting method which works, but looks odd :shock:

Jay Scott

fishing under the 'indicator'
« Reply #16 on: 30/11/2006 at 17:46 »
To be honest, i used to use a strike indicator when fishing buzzers but found that it would not present them as nice, sure you miss a couple bites and lose a couple from not hooking them well when watching your line, but in the long run you are probably going to catch more fish and you won't have a bright orange peice of yarn above your fly which i think puts them off slightly. just cast your line into the wind slightly let the wind push it around taking in the slack at all times and it will present them really well and you'll catch more fish than when you are using a peice of yarn or floam. so i would say as long as you have a good floating line there is no need for an indicator. It's probably more relaxing as well.

Jay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 30/11/2006 at 20:32 »
Well put jay
 :z16

Sandy

« Reply #18 on: 01/12/2006 at 23:13 »
i'm converted :z4  :z4

spent a most enjoyable four hours at a fishery called Regal which is in Drumclog and fished the method you describe Jay, black buzzer orange cheeks on point and olive buzzer on the dropper (black size 10 olive size 12) missed three takes in the first 20mins and almost reached for the indi but then i saw it, the tip of the line went under i struck and landed a lovely 4pounder. finished the session having banked 9 and lost 2, and as far as i remember i only missed about three more during the day. fished across the wind.

tremendous sport and great fun! and now my indicators are in the bin!

i followed all the advice given here on this page (washing the line, mucilin etc) and it all came together for me! thankyou all very much for being so helpful.

Colin.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 01/12/2006 at 23:26 »
Great stuff Colin  :z16

It just takes a little confidence ........... you must try fishing spiders like this too  :wink:

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: 02/12/2006 at 07:05 »
coooooool!

As mike says ,try spiders with the same method, might be a little late in the season now, but it should still work when the fish are in the upper layers.Its even more fun. :z16

Sandy

Derek 365

« Reply #21 on: 03/12/2006 at 17:56 »
I started fly fishing 3 years ago and began using indicators(fish pimp type)last winter in a bid to stop my finger freezing during some very,very cold winter sessions and a couldn't believe the fun i had.I still use then most trips but only the white ones as i also believe the brighter ones either put the fish off.
A handy hint if you decide to rake your bucket to get your indicators back or anybody who still has no morals :lol:  and is still using these little foam devices is too use a hot needle to put a hole in the top AND bottom of the rubber stopper and to thread your leader OUT of the top hole and INTO the bottom hole before attaching the indicator.This will stop the line creeping round the stopper and you losing your indicator.

« Reply #22 on: 03/12/2006 at 18:19 »
great tip derek hope fully i wont always see my pimp landing 10 yards away from my leader and flys anymore

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com