Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

paavo

Paradox Smokehead
« on: 07/03/2009 at 20:09 »
Went out to buy a couple of ales. I found a stout, Paradox Smokehead from the Scotties brewery, Brew Dog. 
Matured in whisky casks from Islay. It smells tar. The colour is dark brown and the taste is very salty and smokey. The alcohol is 10% but doesn’t taste any boozy.

And the price for 33cl bottle? Well folks, don’t fell of your cheer, nearly 8 quid.

//Harri  :z18

Jim Eddie

Re: Paradox Smokehead
« Reply #1 on: 07/03/2009 at 20:16 »
Harri

This brewery is just 16 miles north of where I live , it is a small enterprise run by a couple of young guys , I'm not really a beer drinker , but I'm told its very good beer , its not that price in the UK.

http://www.brewdog.com/

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 07/03/2009 at 22:16 »
Paradox is bloody awlful!!!! Tastes of TCP..but then again, I do not like Islay whiskey either!! Its got an ABV of 10% and seems to be way too strong to drink.

There Punk is not too bad from a bottle, but did not work from a cask...infact, the pub had to chuck the barrel as no one would drink it..lol.

Dont mind there Physics.

These are all "modern" beers and I find there taste to young for my liking, and too strong..a bit to larger like..but dont let that put you off, others find them nice :)

I personnally like the beers from Hillside Brewery...which is now based at the Deeside Activity Centre. The beers are a bit more "tasteful" with a lovely aftertaste that gets you going back for more. The Lulach is spot on and the keg sold out in one night!! The MacBeth is nice too, a bit darker and stronger...mmmmm

Keep an eye open for his openning day sometime this month!!  :z18

paavo

« Reply #3 on: 08/03/2009 at 09:59 »
Hi Rob

Islay whiskies are really nice thing, especially wintertime.  :z16
Paradox, enough with one, as I wrote the taste wasn’t any booze; but I felt it in my head.  :o
I will check out the beer from Hillside Brewery.  :z16
Lia Fail ale from Perth is nice to.

//Harri
This one I bought for the tag.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 08/03/2009 at 22:12 »
Oh no no no..lol..I really cannot stand Islay whiskies...lol.

My partner was a guide for many years at GlenTurret (Now unfortuantly The Famous Grouse experience) and "came" with a large collection of Whiskies (no idea why i started going out with her..lol)..so i have quite a nice collection at home :)

Lia Fail is one of my favourites. :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com