Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Cleaning fly lines
« Reply #15 on: 07/03/2009 at 21:11 »
Mike the line slick arrived today how do recommend applying it i thought of one of the wife's cotton wool pad make up things would that do :?

Dave

Sounds good to me Dave, are there still instructions on the bottle?

I usually use bits of old towels for this. A small piece for applying the slick ( 4 inches square or so ) I put a small amount of slick on the piece of towel in a straight line, place the end of the fly line on the slick, fold over the towel and grip with one hand and pull the fly line through this with the other hand, letting the line drop on to a clean floor.

When I reach the end of the fly line, I open out the towel, apply a little more slick and then pull the fly line back through again. Then I check to make sure that all of the line feels damp ( if not I'll wet the cloth again and pull the fly line through again )

Once you're happy with this, leave the fly line on the floor for 5 to 10 minutes and wait for the slick to dry, it is important to make sure that it dries before going to the next step.

Once dry, pull the fly line through a dry soft cloth a few times to "polish" it. You'll feel it getting smoother :wink

Then wind back on to your fly reel :z16

Best wishes
Mike

PS: Just imagine that you are polishing your car ...... and you won't go far wrong :z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #16 on: 08/03/2009 at 00:08 »

PS: Just imagine that you are polishing your car ...... and you won't go far wrong :z3

I just drive mine through more mud Mike, it hides the dirt and removes the need to polish  :grin

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 08/03/2009 at 00:10 »
I just drive mine through more mud Mike, it hides the dirt and removes the need to polish  :grin

:z4  :z4  :z4 ........ Cool :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #18 on: 08/03/2009 at 00:23 »

Unless it comes to Dinnet, where it gets washed regularly  :z4 :z4
I've had at least 2 tonnes of topsoil and salt for the back garden courtesy of Bens wee toy :z7

Ben Dixon

« Reply #19 on: 08/03/2009 at 00:38 »
You need more soil?  She will be about ready to drop again on Tuesday  :z4

Dave Mundie

« Reply #20 on: 08/03/2009 at 16:32 »
 :z18 Mike, unfortunatly theres no instructions on the bottle  :z8.

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com