Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: ROD CHOICE
« Reply #30 on: 06/03/2009 at 08:44 »
Mike,
You are spot on with that. I have a Bloke XL50 which when you take it out the tube, feels incredibly light however, stick a line through it and cast and I find it heavy and quite frankly, dull. (Its the 7 weight) I have spoken to a few XL50 owners about this and it seems that the 7 weight has a bit of a reputation for this but the lighter rods in the range (as in line weight) feel lighter when casting, as I found out when I borrowed Iains one at Glentaner.

I also had two of my 9 weights built up, one with a Struble Saltwater Titanium reel seat which is very heavy, the other with a standard fuji reel seat, very light.

The rod with the heavy reel seat felt so light to cast, the other felt tip heavy. Identical blanks and identical fittings except the seat.

Derek McLaren

« Reply #31 on: 06/03/2009 at 09:49 »
Mike,
You are spot on with that. I have a Bloke XL50 which when you take it out the tube, feels incredibly light however, stick a line through it and cast and I find it heavy and quite frankly, dull. (Its the 7 weight) I have spoken to a few XL owners about this and it seems that the 7 weight has a bit of a reputation for this but the lighter rods in the range (as in line weight) feel lighter when casting, as I found out when I borrowed Iains one at Glentaner.

I also had two of my 9 weights built up, one with a Struble Saltwater Titanium reel seat which is very heavy, the other with a standard fuji reel seat, very light.

The rod with the heavy reel seat felt so light to cast, the other felt tip heavy. Identical blanks and identical fittings except the seat.

Rob, are we speaking about the 10 foot XL 50 :?,I liked the rod but found it tip heavy,I was also lucky enough to try the XL 50 9 Ft 5 weight and it was very good but it all goes back to the saying try before you buy.
I must admit if i am buying a rod the weight is a big consideration  :shock,maybe it's all in the head but if you dont feel good about the rod you wont be giving your full attention to the  :z15  :z15.
Must admit the Helios 10 Ft 7 weight is one magic wand

:z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #32 on: 06/03/2009 at 11:26 »
It is the 9 foot 7 weight...i bought it for saltwater sea trouting...if i was honest..its a bloody awlful rod..my 15 year old Norboron is a million times better   :oops

Ben Dixon

« Reply #33 on: 11/03/2009 at 10:37 »
Monksmyre,

I eventually got around to weighing the rods, the weights are as follows.

105  102.7g
966  105.5g
967  106.4g
107  112.9g
117  117.3g
108  118.9g

Makes them lighter than what they were designed to compete with!!

If anyone really wants to know, I have the mass of each section too.

Cheers

Ben

Derek McLaren

« Reply #34 on: 11/03/2009 at 22:10 »
Monksmyre,

I eventually got around to weighing the rods, the weights are as follows.

105  102.7g
966  105.5g
967  106.4g
107  112.9g
117  117.3g
108  118.9g

Makes them lighter than what they were designed to compete with!!

If anyone really wants to know, I have the mass of each section too.

Cheers

Ben

Thanks very much for the info ,that must make the 10Ft #7 about 3.9oz :?,that seems ok for a 10 footer ,how much are they selling for in banchory  :?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #35 on: 11/03/2009 at 22:17 »
Thanks very much for the info ,that must make the 10Ft #7 about 3.9oz :?,that seems ok for a 10 footer ,how much are they selling for in banchory  :?

They are quite light and light where it matters, they feel good in the hand, will have the above rods with us on Sunday.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #36 on: 13/03/2009 at 21:45 »
Hi Magnus :z16

Having researched and worked with CCS, ERN and MOI etc ...... which do you think is the most useful to both rodbuilders and anglers? If you were only allowed to use one method to measure and compare fly rods, which would you choose and what do you think would be the benefits?

Great topic this!
Best wishes
Mike

Magnus Angus

« Reply #37 on: 14/03/2009 at 00:43 »
Pretty academic question Mike. If you know what you like or want and/or have the figures for what you have, then you can figure out some things about how a rod should behave before you cast it. CCS and MOI are valuable if you can't simply get your grubby paw on the rod and try it, also useful for making more informed comparisons.

If I had one method for choosing a rod I'd cast it and fish with it - does that count as two methods? (I'd also try it with a selection of lines above and below the designated line-weight and work through casting those lines at all the distances I'd expect to fish.)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #38 on: 14/03/2009 at 01:11 »
If I had one method for choosing a rod I'd cast it and fish with it - does that count as two methods? (I'd also try it with a selection of lines above and below the designated line-weight and work through casting those lines at all the distances I'd expect to fish.)

Hi Magnus

Yes, you can't beat "try before you buy" :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com