Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ARF!!

ROD CHOICE
« on: 27/02/2009 at 21:04 »
money no object what would be your personal "best for you" rod choice  :?

Rob Brownfield

Re: ROD CHOICE
« Reply #1 on: 27/02/2009 at 21:11 »
Easy...one of my 9 weight new Lohrics ;)..fantastic blank and i can then build it anyway i want then  :z18

If it had to be a factory rod then i would say probably a CF Burkheimer, more than likely the 9 foot 6" 5 weight in "Presentation" finish..or a 9 weight saltwater in blue.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 27/02/2009 at 21:13 »
Ahhhhh, but there's no simple answer  :wink :! :! :!

Something for the streams, maybe the river :? Or maybe a small loch or a stillwater :? Big reservoir or loch :?
Something for the weekend Sir :? Going Salmon fishing Sir :? Nice Orvis rod there sir, suit you Sir, suit you :!

I guess the point I'm making is that there's many types of fly fishing for mnay types and size of quarry....... so if you could narrow the choice down a smidgen that'd be good  :z16

Hamish  :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 27/02/2009 at 21:16 »
Hamish..the clue is in the question ;).."WHATS BEST FOR YOU"..lol..so if its wee flies you like to cast to river trout..then i guess thats "best for you" ;)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 27/02/2009 at 21:20 »
Easy...one of my 9 weight new Lohrics

Rob,
are they any good?   :z8 :z7 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 27/02/2009 at 21:25 »
Iain,

Cheeky! Your one is on the rack just now...i have my daughters this weekend but i should be able to finish whipping. Might have to wait until they have gone home on Monday to epoxy as i use the eldests room to do this as its warm and out the way.

Its been a bit hectic for the last 6 months so this is my finally catching up.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 27/02/2009 at 21:29 »
Thanks Rob,

If you want to put your family first then that's fine  :z7 :z4

I'll just throw 6" lures with my 4' 2wt Timothy & Timothy  :z4 :z4 :z4

ARF!!

« Reply #7 on: 27/02/2009 at 22:30 »
Ahhhhh, but there's no simple answer  :wink :! :! :!

Something for the streams, maybe the river :? Or maybe a small loch or a stillwater :? Big reservoir or loch :?
Something for the weekend Sir :? Going Salmon fishing Sir :? Nice Orvis rod there sir, suit you Sir, suit you :!

I guess the point I'm making is that there's many types of fly fishing for mnay types and size of quarry....... so if you could narrow the choice down a smidgen that'd be good  :z16

Hamish  :z3

ya got me there old chap LOL!! :z8

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 28/02/2009 at 00:40 »
money no object what would be your personal "best for you" rod choice  :?

As Hamish rightly says ...... there's no simple answer ....... probably why so many of us end up with a rather nice collection of "toys" :wink

My favourite rod is of course my 3wt, but we obviously designed this rod to suit our own fishing style ...... so that is a no brainer :wink I'm just chuffed to bits that so many other folk seem to enjoy fishing with it too!

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 28/02/2009 at 10:16 »
Right, thought I'd answer this going through my personal favourites:

• River rod - Winston B11X 9ft #5wt. 
  • River & light loch rod - Orvis Helios 10ft #4wt
  • Big lochs/stillwaters - undecided at the moment
  • For saltwater - Orvis 10ft #8wt
  • For single handed salmon - Greys GPRL 10ft #7/8wt
  • Moderate water salmon - Orvis Shooting Star 14ft #9/10
  • Bigger water salmon - Bruce & Walker Powerlite Deluxe 15ft #10/11 wt

Each of these is 'best for me' for those particular conditions. Could I possibly pick one rod as a personal favourite :?
Right now, no. I'm torn between two, I love the Winston but the 10ft #4wt Helios is sublime  :cool:
Decisions decisions  :z4

Hamish  :z3

dseabass

« Reply #10 on: 01/03/2009 at 01:12 »
anythin that cost less than sixty seventy quid ----av spent more on rods and broke /damaged them --
what happens with me is --i used to get enticed wi ---"" this is the super best,most modern fire a further line,cliche cliche cliche-----i use three now   -- 8ft   9ft  and 10 ft   --in  4#--7#  line -----in sayin that am plannin on a permit for the ness this year --so salmon fly rods are gonna be on the menu ---but  i will start off dead cheap--borrow --loan --from mates ----etc  -----personally i dont think its the amont of money you spend on a rod that makes it better ---

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 01/03/2009 at 09:16 »
....personally i dont think its the amont of money you spend on a rod that makes it better

True enough, sometimes the amount of money isn't truly reflective of the quality  :z6
But there is something to be said for spending a reasonable amount of money on a rod that'll do the job well, has been designed well and finished well. It's up to you as the fisher to make the best of it  :z17
There is also truth in the suggestion that line choice is hugely significant, that can make a huge difference to a rod and you as the fisher.

A good budget salmon rod choice for you might be the Shakespeare Oracle IV, even the 15ft model comes in at under £100  :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 01/03/2009 at 12:38 »
I do too many different types of fishing to simply have one rod.

I use...

7ft #4 for small stream stuff
9ft #4 or #5 for river trout & grayling and for fishing proper flies on still waters, currently using a Helios 904 midflex and a 905 tipflex. 

9ft6" #6 for sea trout, singlehanded salmon, chucking lures on stillwaters, big streamers on rivers, jack pike in small canals, and light saltwater, using a Helios 966 tipflex at the moment.

9ft #9 for pike and heavier saltwater work currently, rod of choice is a TLS Power matrix, heavy but more or less unbreakable.

14ft #9 for most salmon fishing where a DH rod is required and a 15ft #10 for throwing full sinking lines or on big rivers.

For casting against the tape I still like my 590 TCR.

If I had to keep only one, it would be the Helios 966 tipflex.  With a good choice of lines I would be happy to use it for more or less anything.

Cheers

Ben

j.r fartley

« Reply #13 on: 01/03/2009 at 18:45 »
im keen to get my grubby wee hands on an orvis superfine troutbum 8ft 5#! :!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 02/03/2009 at 09:15 »
im keen to get my grubby wee hands on an orvis superfine troutbum 8ft 5#! :!

Wait until you pick up the Helios Ion version..WOW!..just over an ounce in weight...stunning :) They have one in Banchory..and I also think there is a Trout Bum sitting there too if i remember...

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com