Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jay Scott

Best overall trout fly
« on: 28/11/2006 at 19:29 »
Right heres one,

What fly would you recon is the best for stillwater trout fishing, ( one that you think works well most of the time you are fishing ) everyone has to have a favourite.

For me it's the shuttlecock cdc in summer and cats whisker in winter

Jay

Best overall trout fly
« Reply #1 on: 28/11/2006 at 19:41 »
depends where iam fishing if its loch na bo for broonies then its a black pennel if its rainbows it has to be a foam daddie or lime and black lure

Sandy Nelson

Best overall trout fly
« Reply #2 on: 28/11/2006 at 19:53 »
Size 14 Red hook with 3/32 tungsten bead.

All year round with one stillwater pattern.

:z16

Sandy

But the river, thats a different story.

Jim Eddie

Best all round fly
« Reply #3 on: 29/11/2006 at 08:12 »
For me this year it has to be the March Brown spider , probably the my most consistent and versatile fly has to be the Hares Ear.

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

Best overall trout fly
« Reply #4 on: 29/11/2006 at 08:17 »
All year round my all time favourite is a size 14 Black buzzer with a fine glossy white rib and a DEADLY ROYAL BLUE bead or thread.

Royal blue for me is a killer!

Once i get home from offshore i will get a photo of one on here.

wildfisher

Best overall trout fly
« Reply #5 on: 29/11/2006 at 14:27 »
Can't get it down to one – my favourites change  all the time. However, if I had to chose 1 wet and 1  "dry"   that work for wild fish and stocked fish they would be : Silver Invicta  and Stan Headleys's ½ hog. – But then they might be Butcher and Bob Wyatt's DHE……then agin…….. :grin: ………..see the problem.  :sad:  Like most anglers I carry a thousand  patterns and only fish a dozen max.

Best overall trout fly
« Reply #6 on: 29/11/2006 at 17:56 »
i'm in the carry a thousand use a dozen category too. the cats whisker is fishing well for me just now along with black and green lures. diawl bach and small nymphs are working well too, aswell as size 12/14 black buzzers. blue heads, green or orange butts always with a silver wire rib are also under my old reliable category all year round.

good luck

Colin.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com