Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Jay Scott

Best overall trout fly
« on: November 28, 2006, 19:29:42 PM »
Right heres one,

What fly would you recon is the best for stillwater trout fishing, ( one that you think works well most of the time you are fishing ) everyone has to have a favourite.

For me it's the shuttlecock cdc in summer and cats whisker in winter

Jay

Best overall trout fly
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 19:41:47 PM »
depends where iam fishing if its loch na bo for broonies then its a black pennel if its rainbows it has to be a foam daddie or lime and black lure

Sandy Nelson

Best overall trout fly
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 19:53:17 PM »
Size 14 Red hook with 3/32 tungsten bead.

All year round with one stillwater pattern.

:z16

Sandy

But the river, thats a different story.
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Jim Eddie

Best all round fly
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 08:12:17 AM »
For me this year it has to be the March Brown spider , probably the my most consistent and versatile fly has to be the Hares Ear.

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

bigtroot

Best overall trout fly
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 08:17:22 AM »
All year round my all time favourite is a size 14 Black buzzer with a fine glossy white rib and a DEADLY ROYAL BLUE bead or thread.

Royal blue for me is a killer!

Once i get home from offshore i will get a photo of one on here.

wildfisher

Best overall trout fly
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 14:27:40 PM »
Can't get it down to one – my favourites change  all the time. However, if I had to chose 1 wet and 1  "dry"   that work for wild fish and stocked fish they would be : Silver Invicta  and Stan Headleys's hog. – But then they might be Butcher and Bob Wyatt's DHE……then agin…….. :grin: ………..see the problem.  :sad:  Like most anglers I carry a thousand  patterns and only fish a dozen max.

Best overall trout fly
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 17:56:35 PM »
i'm in the carry a thousand use a dozen category too. the cats whisker is fishing well for me just now along with black and green lures. diawl bach and small nymphs are working well too, aswell as size 12/14 black buzzers. blue heads, green or orange butts always with a silver wire rib are also under my old reliable category all year round.

good luck

Colin.

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk