Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Cast-rite?
« on: 15/01/2009 at 00:10 »
Hi folks :cool:

Anybody tried these casting practice rods? They don't look like the one Ben was using the other day?

http://www.cast-rite.co.uk/

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

Re: Cast-rite?
« Reply #1 on: 15/01/2009 at 00:18 »
Just googled them and found them at a reduced price on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/cast-rite-mini-combination-fly-casting-practice-rods_W0QQitemZ320331214968QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Flies_JN?hash=item320331214968&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Can't say I'm impressed to be honest ( especially since the review is by "Total Float Fisher" :z4 ) but maybe somebody on the forum has tried one and will have some good feedback for it.

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 15/01/2009 at 00:51 »
If its from Total float fisher i think i would pass to  :z4
Still cant get my head round the thingymabobers  :z8

Magnus Angus

« Reply #3 on: 15/01/2009 at 04:46 »
I have one if anyone wants to try it - I have doubts/reservations  :cry

Essentially its a fibre-glass rod with a brass chamber on one end and a handle on the other. If you do the right things, mainly stop the rod hard, or some of the wrong things like move the rod fast through a wide arc, a free moving thing (a ball-bearing?) in the chamber moves and you hear a click. It also has a screw in grip so you can do the same with 2 hands.

Personally - the Echo MPR is the best practice rod/toy I've tried. Not only can you see what the line does you can harmlessly get pets and small children running around like maniacs As an uncle I can get the little darlings good and wound up, feeding them some sugar and caffeine is always good, then send them back to the shop - and all in the name of casting practice - ahhhh!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 15/01/2009 at 06:01 »
You're an evil man mr Angus, an evil man!
 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 15/01/2009 at 08:09 »
Hi folks :cool:

Anybody tried these casting practice rods? They don't look like the one Ben was using the other day?

http://www.cast-rite.co.uk/

Cheers
Mike

I have tried one and was singularly unimpressed  :z10 To be honest it seemed more like a corporal punishment device than a tool that could aid someones casting or be used for teaching, I can't believe anyone would think the idea would work, would invest their money and then make it.
Furthermore, you'd have to have far too much money or be bloody dim to buy one, IMHO, at least  :wink
Evidently, I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning  :z7

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 15/01/2009 at 08:15 »
You can never have too much coffee!!!!!!!

:z16 :z16 :z16

Magnus Angus

« Reply #7 on: 15/01/2009 at 13:44 »
You can never have too much coffee!!!!!!!

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #8 on: 15/01/2009 at 13:47 »
Cup of Tea for me thanks  :z4

I do love coffee tho. A wee shot of Bailys instead of milk is nice too  :z7

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 15/01/2009 at 21:00 »
A wee shot of Bailys instead of milk is nice too

easy on up soft lad. Don't any of you young guns have a drop of 'scottish' anymore? ???

Still, wouldn't want you getting tipsy and forgetting to post your flies now would we.

You asked for that Cam
Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 15/01/2009 at 21:27 »
Second that about the MPR, if you want a small indoor practice rod then the MPR is the one.  Best toy (read teaching aid) I have ever had, my only gripe is that they do not come with the very necessary cheapo fly reel and spool of 20lb Stren, however that small misgiving is forgotten when you can Speycast in the house  :z4

Ben

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #11 on: 16/01/2009 at 09:06 »

easy on up soft lad. Don't any of you young guns have a drop of 'scottish' anymore? ???

Still, wouldn't want you getting tipsy and forgetting to post your flies now would we.

You asked for that Cam
Iain

NOW NOW NOW, I didnt say that was all I drink hehe. More of a lager/ale/red wine man myself. But to be totally honest I drink anything thats going. Gin and Cider as a mixer is good lol

Not the biggest whiskey fan tho, but I've started to drink it every so often. Need a dash of water with it tho.

Back to the Rod.

I loved playing with the little practice rod. Was so satisfying managing to cast if over 40feet, hard work tho.
Cam

p.s. My Jan flies are already posted  :z7 and my MPH swap flies today! so there na na na  :z13

Tam Greenock

« Reply #12 on: 09/03/2009 at 12:06 »
We had a nice wee bottle of Tamdhu at Haddo yesterday  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com