Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Well the good thing about not getting out in all this cold weather has meant i've been holed up in the garage a lot more than i thought and i'm making great progress with my Project.

Thanks to Irvine and his plane, i've been looking for alternative methods of making bamboo strips. I will probably use the Plane to make the tapered sections but i've built a mini milling machine to rough the strips into squares and then into  untapered triangles.
Using some scrap componants from a helicopter door, some MDF, sheet aluminium and a basic router i have a functional if crude milling machine.
So far i have been able to cut square sections quite easily and will be trying out the triangles tomorrow.

Well ahead of schedule, so perhaps the Ice aint so bad after all. :z7

:z12

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: The good thing about the cold!
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2009 at 19:49 »
That looks quite good Sandy ..... You should think about taking up engineering :z4

Great stuff, I'm impressed :z16
Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 04/02/2009 at 11:56 »
Got going properly this morning :z16

And have been roughing squares and now triangles. The triangles are a bit trickier and i had quite a few attempts before i got the techniques.
But i'm there now, so the rest of the day is going to be spent making lots of strips, so i can get onto final tapers and then some gluing.
I've an interesting idea to try for this too :wink So we'll see :z18

Sandy

ps. It was suggested i did a blog for this project, but i don't really know how and i'm more interested in making the rods, so i hope you don't mind me expressing myself on the forum instead.
I'm finding it all quite exciting, hope i'm not too boring :roll

Mike Barrio

Re: The good thing about the cold! (the bamboo blog)
« Reply #3 on: 04/02/2009 at 12:36 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16

It is good fun following all the photos and story on here ..... keep it coming :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 04/02/2009 at 13:14 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16

It is good fun following all the photos and story on here ..... keep it coming :wink

Cheers
Mike

I second that...not boring at all..quite the opposite!!!..can I order 2 10 foot Mark IV blanks please :)...I have the original measurements and tapers at home somewhere..hint hint ;)

stickleback

« Reply #5 on: 04/02/2009 at 20:41 »
i hope you don't mind me expressing myself on the forum instead.

hope i'm not too boring :roll

Definitely not.  Keep up the good work  :z16  I find it all fascinating, and can't wait to see the build progress.

Cheers

Cammy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 04/02/2009 at 21:21 »
I second that...not boring at all..quite the opposite!!!..can I order 2 10 foot Mark IV blanks please :)...I have the original measurements and tapers at home somewhere..hint hint ;)

At the current rate of progress, if i charge 50p an hour they would still be bloody expensive :z4 Still anything's possible :wink
Still trying to get a 3ft section to turn out right, never mind 5ft :shock Thats just scary :z10

Thanks for the encouragement though :z18

This is how my garage looks at the moment :z6

Lets hope chinese finger puzzles are as good for bamboo as they first appear :wink

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 04/02/2009 at 22:17 »
Keeping your tools in the boot of a red Ferrari then :z13

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 05/02/2009 at 07:14 »
Keeping your tools in the boot of a red Ferrari then :z13

Well, it keeps them at hand, and makes a much nicer roll cab than Snap-on :z7

:z12

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 05/02/2009 at 17:50 »
Another day spent.

Another step forward :grin

With a lot of scrap to show for much effort (it'll keep us warm in the hut) i finally produced a Tapered strip today, that was accurate to a taper :z18
Starting to suffer cabin fever a little now though :z5 need to go fishing. :z15

Thick end of the strip

Thin end of the strip

You can see the spots where i had to remove splinters, this cane is bloody sharp :shock Guess thats why the Japs used it for torture.
Perhaps they got people to learn how to build rods, it would explain why someone invented fibreglass :z7

Now all i have to do is make another 5 exactly the same, and then another 6 for the other section :z10

At this rate i might even have a working prototype for the start of the season :z3

Well maybe :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 depends how much snow we get, the snow did get me to thinking. I had been reading about 4 sided and 5 sided rods and could see that they may have practical benefits in terms of casting dynamics, However Snowflakes always have 6 sides so perhaps if nature decrees that 6 is a good number then natural rods should have 6 sides too. It could be fun finding out :cool:

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 05/02/2009 at 17:59 »
Just found another splinter, thanks to the photo i just posted :shock

Blasted stuff :z6

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com