Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Which Life Jacket for float tubeing?
« Reply #15 on: 04/02/2009 at 18:41 »
Your decision might also depend on how good a swimmer you are :z17

If you don't swim ... go for the very best collar style jacket you can afford and make sure it's auto/manual :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #16 on: 04/02/2009 at 22:07 »
Well i'm still siding with the snowbee so far :wink

Dave

Dave Mundie

« Reply #17 on: 05/02/2009 at 17:41 »
Spoke to a guy today and he said that the auto ones are very easy to go off some even with rain.
Apparently they're operated by a block of salt that melts with water (i cant see it myself).
How do they operate?

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #18 on: 05/02/2009 at 18:16 »
Spoke to a guy today and he said that the auto ones are very easy to go off some even with rain.
Apparently they're operated by a block of salt that melts with water (i cant see it myself).
How do they operate?

Dave

Salt  :z4 thats ridiculous , who tolds you that. The correct answer is there is a small pixie inside , when you fall in and he gets wet , he pulls the cord  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 05/02/2009 at 19:43 »
How do they operate?

Dave

I'm sorry ..... I give up :z4

Dave Mundie

« Reply #20 on: 05/02/2009 at 20:30 »
how much is the snowbee one Mike?

Here you go Baz £79+ delivery or spend over £100 and free deliveryhttp://shop.treemeadow.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=17&products_id=7811

Dave

Dave Mundie

« Reply #21 on: 05/02/2009 at 20:32 »
I'm sorry ..... I give up :z4

Thats what i though also, i guess he was trying to get rid of old manual stock.

Dave

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: 06/02/2009 at 09:32 »
I'm a bit late in on this one

Heres a good link to look at, some good products, just watch the Newtons :wink

http://shop.lifejackets.co.uk/acatalog/Lifejacket_Fishing_Angling_Lifejacket.html

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 06/02/2009 at 09:38 »
Here you go Baz £79+ delivery or spend over £100 and free deliveryhttp://shop.treemeadow.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=17&products_id=7811

Dave

Hi Dave
£79 + £6.95 delivery = £85.95 ........ I think I would rather give my local tackle shop £89 :wink

Dave Mundie

« Reply #24 on: 08/02/2009 at 19:27 »
Hi Dave
£79 + £6.95 delivery = £85.95 ........ I think I would rather give my local tackle shop £89 :wink

I hear you Mike  :wink

Will have to see how the money funds are after April as we just bought a new caravan :! Knew we shouldn't have went to the show :!

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 08/02/2009 at 20:31 »
we just bought a new caravan :!

Dave

Don't tell Jeremy!  :z4  :z4  :z4

t1viper

« Reply #26 on: 25/02/2009 at 23:42 »
Salt  :z4 thats ridiculous , who tolds you that. The correct answer is there is a small pixie inside , when you fall in and he gets wet , he pulls the cord  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Just so you know there is infact a small tablet inside (it may be salt, i dont know) which dissolves and releases a spring which in turn makes the co2 cylinder inflate the jacket.

I only know this because I just watched them make and test one on How its made on Discovery Science channel  :z4

Tom

Mike Barrio

« Reply #27 on: 25/02/2009 at 23:56 »
Just so you know there is infact a small tablet inside (it may be salt, i dont know) which dissolves and releases a spring which in turn makes the co2 cylinder inflate the jacket.

I only know this because I just watched them make and test one on How its made on Discovery Science channel  :z4

Tom
You watch too much telly Tom :z4

Interesting, thanks for that, I knew the cylinder had to be under water rather than in contact with water via a splash, but didn't know anything about the salt ..... you learn something every day :z3

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #28 on: 26/02/2009 at 08:32 »

Hmmmmm - don't think so.
You'd have to be in a monsoon, immersed in water and already in difficulty for the auto-inflate model to go off.
It is a requirement of most classes of comemrcial fishing vessels these days that they carry self inflating life jackets. On all the inspections I've done I have yet to find a single instance of one going off accidentally...... and the chances are these guys get a damn site more wet than the average angler in the rain.

How do they operate?

Although I like Jims 'pixie' idea hugely  :z4 to be honest the self inflate function is indeed operated by a dissolvable tablet built into the activation chamber by the Co2 cannister. But this needs to be completely immersed in water for it to activate, getting wet isn't enough for it to activate.

It is important that if you do get a life jacket with auto-inflate that it is serviced by a dealer annually...... a trivial expense when ones safety is on the line.

Hamish  :z3

Dave Mundie

« Reply #29 on: 26/02/2009 at 18:16 »
So how long would the salt/tablet take to dissolve :?

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com