Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Which Life Jacket for float tubeing?
« on: 02/02/2009 at 17:58 »
Whats your recommendation on a life jacket and why that particular one  :?

Mike I know you like the Snowbee one any comments :?

Dave

Mike Barrio

Re: Which Life Jacket for float tubeing?
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/2009 at 18:32 »
Hi Dave :cool:

It is made for fishing, comfortable to wear ( you soon forget you have it on ) it allows you full movement, it is both automatic and manual, the harness system is just right, the rear section holds the collar away from your neck and stops any friction sores ....... and it is one of the highest spec available at 190 newtons.

By the way, don't listen to anybody that tells you not to get an auto one because it will go off when tubing cause it might get wet :z4 If the water is far enough up your lifejacket to set it off ...... you are already in trouble :shock

Best wishes
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 02/02/2009 at 18:47 »
Yes Mike i remember trying it on at haddo when you just got them and as you say i hardly knew i had it on albeit only for 5 mins.

Dave

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 02/02/2009 at 21:21 »
Manual or Automatic :?

I think auto would be best what do you think (open to everyone to comment)?

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2009 at 17:36 »
Not so many moons ago most of us thought that auto lifejackets might go off if they got splashed ...... and of course we all kind of followed each other, as we do with many things in our sport.

The biggest problem when somebody gets in to trouble in the water is that they invariably panick, so having an auto/manual lifejacket is now deemed more sensible. I have yet to see anybody set an auto one off by mistake myself? To be totally honest, I think a few of the early tubers didn't trust an auto one to go off and they preferred the idea of feeling in control and being able to pull the cord of a manual one themselves :wink

The only ones that might go off in a wet waves situation are those that haven't been designed for fishing. These tend to be a bit longer in the collar and therefore extend further down your body when seated, which can also prove uncomfortable?

Best wishes
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 03/02/2009 at 19:32 »
how much is the snowbee one Mike?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 03/02/2009 at 19:40 »
how much is the snowbee one Mike?

I can't remember offhand Baz, a bit dearer, I think they were about £89 or £90 last year?

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 03/02/2009 at 19:41 »
My Jacket is an 'Englands' something or other, purchased from Somers for £55.00. It is both manual and Auto, which was not what I originaly wanted (I too had been reading other tubing discussions & thought that manual only was the norm.) but it was bought in a hurry and now I'm glad I did.
I've used it in a few chops and it's not given me any problems.

Depending on your fishing preferences you might find yourself using it in a boat, on the river, etc. where the auto feature might save your bacon, might also make you look a twat if you fall in but better that than brown bread.

Hope I never have to use it.

Dave, along the idea of your trying out a vest  - my Tube (Shakey) has 5 bladders, 4 of which are inflated during normal operations ....I wonder how many and which ones I could lose and still be supported?

I'm off to the bath!

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 03/02/2009 at 19:46 »
Hi Iain

I did the test on the loch with a Sparton, I can fully deflate any one of the main 3 bladders while on the water and by adjusting the way I sit (and my weight) I could paddle back to shore and keep dry, apart from a bit of water up one sleeve.

Haven't tried it out in the middle of a big piece of water in a wave though :wink

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 03/02/2009 at 19:54 »
No you wouldn't want to experience that on a large water Mike, but it's good to know that there is that added bit of security in a multi bladdered Tube.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 03/02/2009 at 19:59 »
Hi Iain

"Depending on your fishing preferences you might find yourself using it in a boat, on the river, etc. where the auto feature might save your bacon, might also make you look a twat if you fall in but better that than brown bread."

Spot on, excellent reply! Most of us don't bother buying a lifejacket for fishing the river and only use one at a fishery if it is compulsory :z6 If you buy a good quality comfortable lifejacket for tubing, you are likely to put it to good use when wading rivers and out in boats ...... where it may well save your life one day!

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 03/02/2009 at 20:47 »
Thats whay I'm thinking about getting one of the automatic  waistcoat ones for river fishing, I know they do not provide the same bouyancy level as the better collar ones like the Snowbee but 190 newtons of bouyancy is no use sitting in the garage.

The point I'm trying to make is I'm much more likely to actually wear the waistcoat type when river fishing.

:z18

Jim 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 03/02/2009 at 20:56 »
Good point Jim :z16

That makes total sense!

Best wishes
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #13 on: 04/02/2009 at 18:19 »
I agree with Jim but would a waistcoat type be ok to wear in a tube?

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 04/02/2009 at 18:30 »
Dave

No I would say always wear a collar type in a tube.

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com