Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Trout Master

Back To Fishing
« on: 29/01/2009 at 17:43 »
Hi iv decided to pick the old fly rod up after 7yr. I use to go fly fishing regularly but fell out with it. Use to fish at sharpley waters Seaham now living in Inverness. Fished for about 2yrs before i gave it up so i would say im still a rookie lol. ok i have a question

1) When i use to fish i sometimes used wet fly with dry line. I told a mate once and he just laughed at me said you dont use wet fly on dry line. But i use to catch plenty of fish with it. So does it not matter what line or fly i use.

I might buy a new rod havent got a clue were my old one is. Had a John Willson rod so could you also recomend a good rod. I need to find a loch first to fish lol so if any one knows any around inverness help would be great. I know theres one at aviemore but whant somewere more local. Thanks

Jim Eddie

Re: Back To Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 29/01/2009 at 18:30 »
Hi Trout Master

If you are form Inverness go into Grahams , behind the castle , they will tell you all the local lochs , they may also let you try some rods .

Fishery's not to far away are Stoneyfield at Alness and Dunlichty just south of Inverness.   

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 29/01/2009 at 18:57 »
Hi Trout master, your friend is talking sh1te :z4. In a lot of situations a floating line is all you need, i rarely use any other densities even though i carry them around with me alright :z8   
In cold weather or very bright sunny conditions the fish will probably be lying deeper, then perhaps a sinking line of some sort(there are many with different sink rates etc) will keep your flys in the feeding zone for longer.
I wont advise on rods but im sure plenty others here will, but a few things to think about are
Whats your budget?
What do you intend to mostly fish for, stocked rainbows, wild brownies, seatrout, salmon?
Mostly rivers, loughs or fisheries?
Feel free to ask as many questions as you like, we were all beginners at sometime and all still learning :grin       

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 29/01/2009 at 19:08 »
If its wild trout fishing you are after , the worlds your Lobster up there. Again Grahams should put you right. You are on the banks of the Ness a good salmon river , not far from the Spey wher you can get some reasonably prices fihing.
Again the Alness is a good spate river and reasonably cheap Salmon fishing , alness angling Association also have a couple of Hill Lochs you can fish for under a £10.

Noel is right a floating line and wet flies are what you would use 90% of the time.

:z18

Jim

Trout Master

« Reply #4 on: 29/01/2009 at 19:24 »
Thanks for the replys lads yeah i thought he was talking sh1te too lol. I'll check them out i fish for stocked rainbow trout.  Not sure how mutch i whant to spend try and find my old gear first have 4 rods sitting somewhere.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com