Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Bring on the March Browns
« on: 28/01/2009 at 22:21 »
Being on the river yesterday, had me fantisizing about the coming season and brought to mind another question we are often asked.
Which is where am i likely to find a good hatch of March Browns or Large Dark olives on the river, What type of water am i looking for?

We are all aware that between 1130 and 1400 during April and May, there is often a good hatch of these flies and this is the best opportunity for
catching decent size brownies on the dryfly, as they often drop their guard when this early season feast begins.

So rather than trying to describe the water again, i took some picture of the kind of water i would be looking for. :z16
Hopefully it will help some of you to find a good hatch this year :cool:

This is perfect March Brown, LDO water

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: Bring on the March Browns
« Reply #1 on: 28/01/2009 at 22:55 »
Cool, excellent post ....... now what are the clues that we can see in the photo that would suggest this is a good place to sit back and wait for the hatch Sandy?

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 29/01/2009 at 08:02 »
Firstly

The stretch just upstream of the rush you can see at the right is a fairly fast flowing rocky part of river which is home to the stone clinging nymphs of the march brown.
This part above also has a lot of ranunculus weeds which are home to the LDO nymphs. When the flies hatch they take between 30secs and 60 secs approx to struggle free of their shucks and take to the air. This gives them just enough time to  go through the rush and many end up cripple or drowned in the lovely deeper run you can see in the picture.

The water in the picture is a nice deep run which has slower water to either side, giving the fish two places to lie (the strip on either side between fast and slow)and a good flow of water
In which they can intercept at speed. The water is not so fast or rough that your flies shoot through with loads of drag, but a short line is still advantageous :z16.
If you sit and wait, there will be a rise almost as soon as the first fly floats past, and suddenly this wee stretch of water that looked empty will suddenly come alive with fish.

Other that that to me it just looks right :z16 Thats why i took the photo, it seemed like a better idea than trying to describe it :cool:

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 02/02/2009 at 20:21 »
Been at the tying vise sorting out some LDO & March Brown nymphs....no big deal so far.

I've always been of the impression that March Browns can be represented by traditional GRHE's and PTN's (so I made up a variation using the best bits of both) this was fine until I scanned the Net for a true representation of the nymph only to find that it's a stoneclinger  :shock I never knew that!  :oops

perhaps I shopuld have read Sandy's previous post more thoroughly.

Iain
someone else

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com