Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dutchfly

Re: What are you tying today?
« Reply #15 on: 01/02/2009 at 20:06 »
For the first time this winter I've spend some time at the tyingbench (thank you, creditcrunch :mad). I've tied some CDC&Elk (size 10 and 16) for our upcoming trip to The Don. Sorry, no pics...

CU

Jeroen

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 02/02/2009 at 00:01 »
I have been tying stupid sized Dutch style Pike flies on size 8/0 hooks!

Arrrrrrrrrghhh!!!!!  :shock :z16

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #17 on: 02/02/2009 at 11:41 »
I have been tying stupid sized Dutch style Pike flies on size 8/0 hooks!

Arrrrrrrrrghhh!!!!!  :shock :z16

Practicing for wed?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 02/02/2009 at 13:37 »
Yip!!!!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 03/02/2009 at 12:33 »
Guess whose not fishing today :z6

Bloody Kids :roll Fancy getting sick on my first day off without ice :z8 I dunno.

Still i was playing at the vice this morning, trying a little trick from rod building to try and make a nice translucent buzzer.
Seeing the flies getting posted with varnished bodies, had me thinking. This is the outcome.
It looks pretty standard but has something i cant quite put my finger on :cool:
Its all made of thread too :wink no paint :cool:

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #20 on: 03/02/2009 at 13:01 »
 :shock
Now thats one mean buzzer , i like it  :z4

Derek McLaren

« Reply #21 on: 03/02/2009 at 20:32 »
very nice  :z16

Barry Robertson

« Reply #22 on: 08/02/2009 at 18:43 »
Bought some verniards Micro glint thread - the peacock one yesterday so away to try some new var :winkants! This stuff looks awfy posh

Barry Robertson

« Reply #23 on: 09/04/2009 at 22:00 »
Anyone been tying up anything exciting  :?
Just away to tie up some cormorants  :grin

Jay Scott

« Reply #24 on: 10/04/2009 at 22:31 »

Trying to get some cascades done but having a right laugh trying to master the hackles  :mad can't seem to fold them or make them look half presentable without a massive head on the fly  :oops. Fun of the Fair!  :z4

Jay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #25 on: 10/04/2009 at 22:38 »
Are you out for Salmon soon JayS?

Jay Scott

« Reply #26 on: 10/04/2009 at 22:52 »

Not too sure hope so... away to buy a season ticket on the Ness and give it a bash and have a day on the Don next time i'm down too probably.

What about yourself Iain?

Jay

Irvine Ross

« Reply #27 on: 11/04/2009 at 08:53 »
Trying to get some cascades done but having a right laugh trying to master the hackles  :mad can't seem to fold them or make them look half presentable without a massive head on the fly  :oops. Fun of the Fair!  :z4
Jay

Jay

Try tying the hackle in by the tip. The stalk is much thinner so the head ends up less bulky.

Hope that helps,   :z16 or maybe you are doing that already :z8

Cheers

Irvine

Paul Rankine

« Reply #28 on: 11/04/2009 at 21:51 »
Hi Jay,
          If you are doubling the hackle , as Irvine says ,tie it in by the tip . Then , assuming that you are right handed , hold the butt end of the hackle between your thumb and index finger of your right hand , then use the thumb and index finger of your left hand to stroke the hackles backwards so that they mesh with each other.  Wetting helps . Reverse the instructions if you are left handed. Do not pull too hard as the finer tip may break. 

On the subject of small heads don't tie in the very fine tip but snip this off , make a V shaped end by stroking a few hackles forward and tie in this section in . You can gently pull through to minimise but make sure you have hold of enough to hackle to make it secure. Don't use lots of wraps ,you don't need them.

Alternatively , and depending on the pattern, you can strip one side of the hackle of its fibres and tie this in . Good for low water , low "profile" patterns.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

:wink

Jay Scott

« Reply #29 on: 11/04/2009 at 22:14 »

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the advice sounds like i'll be glued to the tying bench for another week   :cool: ........... not that i'm complaining of course!  :z4

Cheers,

Jay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com