Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Anybody got any experience with these?
« on: 09/07/2009 at 00:35 »
  After reading through the Don fishing report it got me thinking more about streamers/baitfish immitations, after searching around online I stumbled across these http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/l-p/gummy-minnows.html has anybody ever ''tied'' these?  Or better still anybody tried them on the don?  They look to me like a great way to immitate minnows :z12 Let me know what your thoughts/views are guys :z16

Steven

Ben Dixon

Re: Anybody got any experience with these?
« Reply #1 on: 09/07/2009 at 16:53 »
Hi Steven,

Don't rate them in freshwater, I do better on polar minnows, woolly buggers, and various american style streamers. 

Cheers

Ben

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2009 at 18:28 »
  Ok cheers for the info Ben :z16

Oh and thanks for the discount when I was last in the shop :z16

:z18

Steven

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 09/07/2009 at 19:26 »
No probs Steven.

Something like this should work fish it on a fast sink as fast as you like and make it hit the water hard

If they look too much like hard work then black, white or olive woolly buggers in sizes 2 to 8 should do the trick.  When tying big flies like these for trout, look for a hook with fine wire, a good gape and knock the barb down.  Most size 2 "streamer" hooks are made from heavy wire that is simply too chunky for me to want to stick in a trout.  Currently using some old partridge hooks from the guys that does the stand at games fairs selling old and obscure hooks, not sure what they are.

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2009 at 21:26 »
Ah ha Ben finally reveals his secret weapons :z4

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 10/07/2009 at 04:24 »
  Ok cool, thanks for that Ben I'll rustle up something simillar at the vice when I get back from deepest darkest Nigeria :cool:

Steven

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 10/07/2009 at 14:55 »
I use Gummys a fair bit, but like Ben says, in saltwater.

I have tried them extensively for Perch and Pike and they dont last that long!!!

Ben is the master streamer fisher so his words should be heeded ;)  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com