Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Brian Brand

IAA March to the River
« on: 23/01/2009 at 21:21 »
 :z2 :z2 :z2 :z2 :z2

Inverurie Angling Association's annual march to the River Don takes place this year on Saturday 14th February.

We meet up outside the Kintore Arms Hotel, High Street, along from Sloan's shop.

The March will leave the Hotel at 9:30am, led by a piper, and goes down to the River Don at the Road Bridge where our local Minister, Graeme Longmuir, will bless the River for the forthcoming season.

This event is organised by IAA but as always there is an open invitation to all, you can enjoy a dram to toast the new season.

Also since it is Valentines Day you could bring your Wife / Girlfriend as a special treat to her but please don't bring both of them it might cause a scene (or Husband / Boyfriend).

As per last year it is a great chance to meet up with some like minded fellow fishers.

Hope to see you there,
Regards,
Brian.

:z2 :z2 :z2 :z2 :z2

Iain Goolager

Re: IAA Walk to the River
« Reply #1 on: 23/01/2009 at 21:27 »
Bri,

I was there last year with the bairn and although he's only 19 months he now has his own rod and reel so we'll be there and he can show it off.

Iain

Brian Brand

« Reply #2 on: 23/01/2009 at 21:34 »
Thats great Iain, start them young, great bonding excercise and you get to go fishing.

Regards,
Bri.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 23/01/2009 at 21:39 »
Hi Brian, thanks for keeping us up to date on the march :z16

It would be grand if we could have a good turnout from the forum this year. I will be there ...... the loch will probably still be frozen at this rate anyway! :z4

If anybody fancies it, maybe we could make it a forum day out? Raise a glass to the river in the morning and then some of us could stay on the river in search of a silver tourist, while others could go back over to Haddo for a wee fishing session, a blether, coffees etc and maybe even a barbecue or something? Just an idea ...... a few of you have more or less done this in the past anyway :z17

Here is a photo of the River Don March in 2000 and I added a couple to the gallery from 2005 :cool:

And one from 2005

Cheers
Mike

:z15    <<<     <<<     This way to the Don    :z2  :z2  :z2     :z2  :z2  :z2     :z2  :z2  :z2     :z2  :z2  :z2

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 23/01/2009 at 21:41 »
Iain

I was there last year as well , Irvine was also there , I'll come along if I can manage.

:z18

Jim

Irvine Ross

Re: IAA March to the River
« Reply #5 on: 24/01/2009 at 08:27 »
Hi Brian

Yes I hope to be there this year again.Hoping for a bit of a thaw by then.

Cheers :z18

Irvine

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 24/01/2009 at 08:40 »
Great stuff Irvine :cool:

That's a good start to a forum gathering :z16
So let's see who is coming along and what we are doing?

(1) Those coming along to the March and going home/elsewhere afterwards?
Iain "Goolager"
Brian "bri"
?? "j.r fartley"
Dave "diverdave"
Iain "machar"
Bob "Fisher"

(2) Those coming along to the March and then fishing the Inverurie water looking for the 1st Salmon?

(3) Those coming along to the March and then coming over to Haddo?
Mike Barrio
Irvine "Hares Lug"
Jim "Jedi"
David "David"

Best wishes
Mike

Please reply in this thread with your plans :wink

Irvine Ross

« Reply #7 on: 24/01/2009 at 08:54 »
Mike

Put me down as a (3)

Irvine

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 24/01/2009 at 16:37 »
Assuming I can manage , put me down for option 3 Mike  :z16

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 25/01/2009 at 10:00 »
Mike,
 I'm definitely a number 1) - will advise if I can upgrade to number 3)

Iain

paavo

« Reply #10 on: 25/01/2009 at 10:46 »
Nice tradition you have over there, with the march. We don’t have any tradition like that here in Sweden. Hope for nice day out. :z16

Cheers to the river
//Harri

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 25/01/2009 at 13:12 »
You will have to start a new tradition of your own Harri :z17

The IAA March to the River Don was probably started as a celebration of the new salmon fishing season on the river, as per other similar events in Scotland ..... But, over the years and with the Don being such a marvelous mixed species river, it has grown in to a celebration of the new season for our trout anglers as well :cool: Even though the trout anglers have to wait a number of weeks before the brown trout season opens :wink

I think the fact that this event has grown in to a celebration of "the river" is a great thing! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #12 on: 27/01/2009 at 21:57 »
Also since it is Valentines Day you could bring your Wife / Girlfriend as a special treat to her.

I just pointed this out to herself and i dont think she was quiet as excited as i would have expected  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 27/01/2009 at 22:22 »
I just pointed this out to herself and i dont think she was quiet as excited as i would have expected  :z4

Funny that Noel ..... but you have invited her, which is cool :wink

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 08/02/2009 at 16:12 »
If the weather continues like this and we are unable to fish Haddo after the March , how about we just meet up at the hut for a blether , swop flies , have  a go with sombody else's gear. I've loads of fishing books if anyone is looking for something to read,  I could bring the barbie and a few burgers.

Just an idea , but lets hope the weather does improve  :cool:   

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com