Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Brian Brand

Re: The Don at Inverurie
« Reply #30 on: 30/01/2009 at 16:54 »
Hi Duncan,

The Don & Ury at Inverurie has always been run by the Council and never by IAA but we have at times helped out with some of the work in the past.

I phoned my father, because I could not remember what happened prior to Bert being in the post, and it was always the council that looked after the upkeep of the banks but occasionally when there was to much weeds etc the council approached IAA to give them a hand.

For quite a few years, in the 80's when busloads of central belt gentlemen came up to the river, a few of us were registered with the Council & Board as River Watchers which gave us the right to inspect peoples bags, only if they allowed us, but not full Baliff powers. Some interesting times then, all we could do was move them on.

Duncan, out of curiosity are you the same Duncan that used to win all the IAA Club competitions.

Regards,
Bri.

garry john

« Reply #31 on: 30/01/2009 at 17:26 »
hi bri, did u say u can fish the ury on sundays? if so whos permission do i need 2 seek?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 30/01/2009 at 17:36 »
hi bri, did u say u can fish the ury on sundays? if so whos permission do i need 2 seek?

Hi Garry

You can buy a day or season permit from Sloan's tackle shop or Watson's the ironmongers in Inverurie, this will cover you for the Don and the Ury.

Best wishes
Mike

Duncan McRae

« Reply #33 on: 31/01/2009 at 21:27 »
Hello Bri

Yes,I did enjoy the fly fishing competitions at the time, but looking back, what a pity we had to kill all the trout for the weigh in.
I'm glad to see that the competitions are now catch and release.

I'm guessing that you are Brian,our club secretary?

I moved to Ellon 7 years ago and regrettably gave up my syndicate rod a few years back when i wasn't fishing much.I am still an association member but have lost touch with whats going on due to not fishing the syndicate water.
I suppose there's still a waiting list for membership?

Hope you have a good season

Duncan

Brian Brand

« Reply #34 on: 31/01/2009 at 22:12 »
Hi Duncan,

Long time no see.

Yes it is me and I am back onto the committee, that one sneaked up on me.

You are right about the competitions we were keeping trout that normally would have gone back, hindsight is great is in it, but at least we know better nowadays.

There is a waiting list on Ardmurdo but I do know that some people are not renewing their permit this year for different reasons.

Hope to see you around soon,

All the best for 2009.

Regards,
Bri.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com